Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much do YOU practice?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tehdouglas, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Tehdouglas

Tehdouglas

Feb 10, 2006
    NH
    So how much do you guys practice on average? By practice I pretty much mean anything involving playing Bass, not just scales and the likes. Im a highschool student and I usually manage my time well to get in 3-4 hours a day, depending on homework. Of course theirs days were Im too busy or out doing stuff but this is just an average. What about you?

2. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    about 6hours.

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    not hardly enough

4. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    I average about 1.5-2 hours per day.

5. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    Not enough as of lately.

6. Depends. I always make an attempt to play at least an hour a day, and I usually go through with that, but sometimes I pick up my bass and dont set it down for 4, 5, 6 hours.

7. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    I Practice when i feel like it... when i sit down with a cd i often use 2 hours... and i go to whats called a "Folk highschool", the music line, so i get about 2 hours of playing each day...

but i tend to play whene ever i feel like it, i dont have a "Special time" i should be playing.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Homework owns my life, as does tennis and other stuff, but during the week i get in about 30 minutes a day, on the weekend about 4 hours a day during band practice.

9. it's a tough question to answer because I do a lot of practicing with no bass in hand (visualization, composition and the like). I also spend a lot of time at work checking out basses but really just dickering around and not working on anything more than moving my fingers, so...

actual physical practice = 1-3 hours a day, with occasionally more

total practice a day = 2-5 hours

amount of time with bass in hands = 2-4 hours a day

when I was younger I would play between 6 and 10 hours a day, but it was hardly all beneficial in terms of advancing myself as a player. I was gigging and jamming a lot, and not sleeping very much. things change a bit with age for some of us...

thanks to some great teachers and friends I now use my time better.

from the lowest,

Stew

10. well on weekdays because of school work and homework i do good to get in more than 30 minutes. on weekends i might play for 10 hours a day, one time me and a few friends jamed for a whole day with little breaks and in total we probally played for 11 or more hours thats day

lowsound

11. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Usually about 2 hours..but when im really in the mood and have enough spare time about 4-5 hours..

12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    1.5-3hrs

13. Not as much as I'd like to. Roughly an hour a day to keep myself sharp. If I had more time, I'd do two hours a day.

14. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Not enough. But I'll go practice right now.

15. I probably really only 'practice' less than 1 hour a day, but I play all of my instruments quite a bit as I teach lessons and love to jam. Of course, I think 'practice' can be overrated and prefer 'playing' with other people over, well, playing with myself... lol.

16. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I try to get about 2 hours of practice a day. One hour going over material from teachings and theory/technique books. The other hour consists of transcribing.

17. on weekdays about 4 to 5 hours . Im studying Biology and it only has 4 to 5 subjects per semester

weekends I usually try to get up early and practice all day long unless I have to practice with the band . But most of that time Im not really practicing as it should be Im just practicing my muscle memory ( playing minor , pentatonics scales as fast as I can ) . While I watch tv .

18. Anywhere between 1 - 3 hours a day.

19. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Not enough, but I sure think about it a lot!!

20. FastEddie

FastEddie

Feb 13, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    When you guys are playing / practicing 4-6 hours a day, what are you doing??? I like having the bass in hand but more than 3 hours and I don't find enough to do in one sitting. Or do you space it out doing an hour, break, hour, break, hour, break, etc.?