1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How much do you practice?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Silver Hammer, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Silver Hammer

Silver Hammer

Aug 17, 2006
    Thought this would make a good thread. How long have you been playing and how long do practice a day/how many days a week?

I've been playing about a month and a half and I practice every day for about 4 hours (as much as 6 sometimes). Not all just straight practicing but also figuring out bass lines and stuff. In two weeks time I went from In a Gadda Da Vida to Dani California and Money. Also I can hear my notes being alot more clean than before. I usually just play through a line I know, learn a new bassline or two then do the finger exercises my teacher told me to be doing. Usually I play for about an hour or two then take a break and start playing again. Sometimes I put my bass on and play basslines in between typing on AIM and looking over this forum. I tried playing while on the phone to (I hate to put my bass down haha) but I dropped the phone on my cable pulling it out so I gave up on that. So share your practicing methods and how you spend your time with your funk machine!

2. I practice about an hour and a half a day....I use the pacman method - starting from C, play all of the scales and modes in one key up and down the fretboard. Then i do metronome practice to help with rhythm and picking speed, and possibly practice some songs to help with slapping. Im crap at it at the moment.Then I also jam with mates once a week and more.

3. tom5string

tom5string

Jul 14, 2006
    Hamburg/Bremen
    I try to practice about 1- 1.5 hours a day
    - upright scales, intonation
    - upright, learn a song (Walk on the wild side currently)
    - EB timing/pop-slap
    - EB chords/arpeggios
    - EB a classical piece (mostly Bach)
    - and im trying to transcribe one or the other song to learn from the pros.

Tom

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Not enough! :p

5. There never seems to be enough time to do everything you want to...If only we could stop time.

6. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    i've been playing 18 years, I never pick up my bass unless i'm gigging, rehearsing with the band, learning a song, transcribing or recording... I never practice in the accepted sense of the word, although I did for 4-5 hours a day for the 1st 4-5 years

7. Amenra

Amenra

Dec 18, 2006
    I've been playing for about 5 years now but with ups and downs. I play about an hour a day, but sometimes more. I play in three bands and we rehearse every weekend so I get a fair share of playing my bass.

Most of the time I just try to play along with basslines I like but they're hardly ever difficult. I should do more technique excercices such as learning all the scales and stuff. However I sometimes feel I don't need to learn all the scales because I can play along with pretty much everything just by ear (no Jaco stuff though :meh: )

I'm also thinking about learning to slap. I can do some slap songs, but only the real easy ones. The thing is, I feel I have a decent level of technique (decent enough to be playing in the bands i play in :) )and I learned everything myself but now I'm at a stage where I feel I can't learn myself anything else anymore. Maybe time to take some lessons?? Then again, i don't know a bass teacher that lives near me....

8. Right now, I'm practicing alot. Somewhere between one and four hours on the weekdays as time permits, and on the weekends I pretty much play off an on all day. But I'm coming off a long hiatus and I'm trying to get myself back up to snuff. I haven't always practiced this much.

I started playing about ten years ago, but like I said, I all but quit playing for the last couple of years.

9. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I wish I could practice more, but c'est la vie. :D

I practice about 45 minutes/day during my lunch break and usually have band practice once a week. If I had time available I'd play for multiple hours a day.

10. I wish I could practice more, i practice about 2 hours a day some days more days some less. im playing about 4 to 6 hours a day right now because im geting usto a new bass and cant seam to put it down. and its x-mas brake from school and im layed off from work so i am playing a lot.

11. I get about 30 minutes in on weekdays, more on weekends. My workdays are about 13 hours, so it's not easy finding time.

12. WHEN I practice, I practice for at least 1 hour. I have been playing for about 25 years and I usually practice about 3 times a week.

13. billjr

billjr

Jul 25, 2006
    Darlington, SC
    I've been playing about six months, and try to practice every night I can. That usually works out to four or five nights a week. I have a family, so I spend early evening with them, and when the kids go to bed, I head to my room and practice for about two hours. I start off with some warm-up routines, and then get into Todd Johnsons technique exercises. I then work through that weeks pages in a couple of method books, and a couple of blues and walking bass line books. I also have a book on scales and arpegios that I work through. Then I get my CDs out and work on several songs, playing along with the CD.

Our Praise Band usually rehearses once a week.

14. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I don't practice very much any more. About 1.5 hrs in the the morning before I go to >werk< and maybe another 1.5+ in the afternoon on weekends and days off.

I'm "in between" bands/gigs for the first time in years, so I don't feel as motivated, I guess. Anyhow kinda enjoying it (if it wasn't for the guilt and shame!). :jk:

15. lately my bass stays in its bag between church every sunday.... sometimes i pull my guitar down and just doodle and thats about it

16. i added that to my practice routine a few mounts and they have bin working out for me.

17. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Well in school they said playing music as a career is like any 40 hour a week job. You should put in 40 hours a week, 20 hours practicing and 20 hours gigging. As you grow older the practice time will start to diminish, but at that point your more working on ideas than traditional practice.

18. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    when I was a kid, it was all I did when I wasn't at school or eating..., then as a teen I played everyday but I had to make an effort to have my bass follow me around... then I got a paying bass player gig and had to play the same songs over and over for years, then I got a job in a studio, so I have basses at work and basses at home. So that means there's either a bass or guitar always in the room and 90% of the time I will pick one up. At home I only have a couple of Epiphones that my daughter plays with too and she's only 5 so they get kinda beaten, dropped, banged into walls etc, but they're light and she really enjoys it so what are ya gonna do?

I never practice scales or anything like that, I'm self taught, I just play all my own patterns and lines in an attempt to just keep nimble and loose.

19. I've been playing for about 6 months now. Not long, I know.
    I usually practice about 1-1.5 hours a day.

It usually goes something like this...
    15 min - practice scales and other technical stuff
    30-45 min - practice songs I'm working on
    15-30 min - just jam and screw around on the bass.

20. I have been playing 4 years. I will be honest, i practice about half an hour to 45 minutes everyday, but some days i can practice up to 3 hours. It depends really, if have school and the associated work at night i don't find much time to play bass :(