1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How much do YOU tip your pizza guy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Earwigger, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Hello everyone. I deliver pizzas for a living, in a moderately wealthy community in NE Ohio. I'll cut straight to the point.

Tips lately have dried up. Where we used to get 3$-5$ a pop a year ago, now we are lucky to get 1.50$. This is ironic and cruel, as gas prices have gone to almost 3$ a gallon recently.

My question/query is this: How much do YOU tip your pizza guy, and what factors determine it?

A few things to think about:
    • Pizza delivery guys are not the ones that are late with your pizza (usually). We go very fast and disobey traffic laws to get it to you on time, but if the people in the store don't make the pizza on time or if there is a very large queue and many orders ahead of yours, it's going to take a while no matter how we drive. This is usually the case, as no pizza guy would deliberately be slow in delivering a pizza.
    • The amount of pizza you order is not important, nor is the amount you spend on the pizza. The factors you should consider while tipping are your distance from the pizza store, the ease of getting to you (aka, did you give the wrong address? decide to go to the pool and make me walk all over the apt. complex looking? is there insane amounts of construction or blocked roads leading to your address?), the price of gas, and if the delivery person is nice.
    • Pizza drivers generally make minimum wage hourly, and some chains give 1$ per delivery. Smaller private stores might pay differently (tipped employees can make as little as 3.25$ an hour) but the major chains are all nearly the same in their gouging of their employees. Pizza drivers are not union, and getting employers to pony up more money per delivery to combat rising gas prices is not something that happens.
    • Almost all pizza drivers drive their own cars, and car maintenance is very expensive. Last year, from driving 30 hours a week, I had to replace my tires (300$), alternator (120$), transmission work (800$), serpentine tensioner locked up and.. something (another 800$), and more that I simply forget. Driving in the city is generally considered bad for cars, and several short trips are only really good if you have an electric hybrid. Any traditional gas car will say in it's manual to avoid repeated short trips in stop and go traffic - which is exactly what delivering a pizza is.

I am somewhat ranting. Sorry! :bassist:

In my opinion, your minimum tip should be as much as a gallon of gas at any given time. Anything less then two dollars is a complete insult and it actually costs me money to bring you a pizza.

And yes, I am quitting at the end of the month due to this but I figured Id see what people's policies are around the country and around the world.

Thanks!

2. we always tip our pizza dudes well, it's cold, wet and they are always really friendly. why not?

if the pizza gear is say $20 we'll tip 3-5 say

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    0. Why should I?

4. Matt_W

Matt_W

May 3, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    It's the UK, we don't tip the Pizza Delivery person (for the most part).
    We do have a minimum wage though.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I don't trust pizza guys anymore. I remember that thread not so long ago with the guy who was a pizza guy admitting to spitting in pizzas and deliberatley giving bad service. I know there are a lot of honest, hard working guys out there but I'll make the short walk to get my pizza from now on.

6. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    15-20% plus the fee they add for delivery.

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    A dominoes pizza for 2 people normally comes to about £25 / $50 here inc delivery. Tipping a further £5 / $10 would be too much to pay for pizza, in my opinion.

8. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    For the record, the store I work at is clean and we have never done anything shady to a pizza. We have been tempted with certain customers (we're only human) but never gone through with it.

9. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    GTFO.

How can a pizza be that expensive? Especially Domino's.

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    The sad thing is, he's not making that up.

11. He's not far off, why, because the UK is expensive. Dont get me started on gear or fuel prices here!

I dont tip who ever is delivering a pizza, just like i dont tip whoever is on the checkout where i shop, just like i dont tip the guys who are working at the rehersal rooms where we practice.

People are getting paid to do thier jobs, expecting tips is rediculous. And even if they are giving good service, thats what they are paid to do!

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yep, I rarely get tipped at work, a good job is expected of me and not something to be rewarded.

13. I work in a bar,We get paid minimum wage and thats that, maybe i should start demanding a 15-20% tip on each pint ! :D Could be making 50p on each pint that way.

Have gotten tips now and again, mainly from very very large parties where they are buying £50+ worth of drinks in a round! but other than that (which is a bit on the rarer side), not much else.

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Perhaps I'll start asking for 20% of a the price of a meal where I work...

I guess thats £6 a head, usually serve 10 people a night...£60 tips per night, £72 if I'm lucky.

15. hey earwigger,

over here and in the UK the staff get paid fully for their work. The common result is the staff can get away with crap service and still get paid. Fair enough if they keep it up they may get fired. But they can always get away with it at times.

Every time i have visited the us, the restaurants service has been superior in general. The waiter/waitress has tried very hard to make everything good. Because you guys get payed very low hourly rates the tips become the variable of your performance.

I wish it was like that here. Although we pay full price here and our staff get payed full wage, if the service is very good we still tip at least as a sign of thanks.

Some people outside the us may not understand just how low your hourly pay rate is. I couldn't believe how little hospitality people get payed there. It stinks that it's that low.

16. Tho I rarely, if ever use a pizza delivery service, I think my Wife and I tip very well... if an order comes to say 15 bucks and change, I'll give a twenty and say "all set"... the pizza joint is 3 blocks away... but hell, sometimes I don't feel like the trek.

If we go out to eat, I'm always appreciative of good service, and tip accordingly (most times around 20%)

But give me crappy service and I don't tip well...and I tell the waitperson why as well. Tho I'm symapathetic, I really don't care to have your bad day reflect on my meal that I am doling out my small allotment of play money for.

17. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Chicken combo - £5 [6 chicken strips and some wedges]
    Pepperioni Passion Pizza, Medium - £9.99
    Americano Pizza, Medium - £12.00
    Ben and Jerry's 500ml - £5
    Coke, 1.25L - £2

= £33.99 / $68USD.

That's taken from the Guisely branch of Domino's online menu just now... thankfully it includes free delivery :)

18. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    I would eat dog crap before I paid $50.00 for a dominoes pizza , any chain pizza for the matter.

there are only a few places here that I would say make real pizza.

I'll confirm that by saying a friend of mine was here from NJ/NY and gave my favorite place a thumbs up.

hence I do carry out .

19. Wow! I could eat sushi until I puked for that kind of money.

20. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    $3 to $5 usually.