Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how much does a defretting cost?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassman1185, Mar 9, 2002.

1. I'm thinking of getting an acoustic bass, but I really want a fretless, but the one I'm thinking of doesn't come without frets. How much would it cost to have a typical shop defret it and put in lines?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    $175-$250 depending on who you get to do it. It really is a ton of work. There is little material cost in it, but it takes forever.

Chas

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    well.. if you are buying a bass with the intent of making it fretless.. i would look around a bit more before i did that. you may regret doing that... Or. if you are really adventurous, you can defret the bass yourself.. I wouldn't do that unless you know what you are doing... I defretted my first bass.. it came out ok.. but the bass itself was just crappy

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I had my acoustic bass guitar defretted a few years ago - it cost me $150 Cdn.

5. Crap, that is a lot. I guess I'll look around a bit more for a fretless ABG.

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I did the same thing before I got mine defretted. The cheapest one I could find (in a catalog) was about $1000 US. When I called stores to ask them if they had such a thing, they usually a) said it didn't exist; or b) laughed at me.

My point is, if you can find one for a decent price, I'd definitely be interested in knowing what it was!

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I know that both Washburn and Epiphone have built fretless acoustic bass guitars in the past. I have seen several used ones on the web.

I am sure there are other makers who build more affordable fretless acoustics.

I would guess you would pay in the $350-500 range depending on the exact bass.

Here's a photo of my fretless acoustic bass :)

A little different than what you are looking for, but I am very happy with it.

[​IMG]

Chas

8. Check Ebay. They frequently have fretted and fretless acoustic basses that generally go for relatively cheap. Good luck with whatever you do.

Craig

9. Chasarms said...

$175-$250 depending on who you get to do it. It really is a ton of work. There is little material cost in it, but it takes forever.

If you're in that price range and have a Fender you can buy a lined fretless Warmoth neck.

allan

10. If you can stand to have an amplified acoustic bass then the Godin A5's are about the most playable and best feeling instruments I've seen.

11. Isn't the A5 a solid body with a piezo in the bridge? I'm looking for something that i can take places and mess around with freinds with. So dragging an amp around to play my 'acoustic' bass in't gonna work. :rolleyes: Thanks for the tip though.

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I dunno what exactly you're looking for in a fretless ABG, but here's one that you may take a look at:

Fretless ABG

13. Thanks for the sugestion, SoCom, but I'm looking for a five string, and I would need fretlines, too. Plus I want to stay as far away from Rogues as humanly possible.:D