Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how much does a fender jazzbass(mexican) or a pbass cost?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by I love the fonz, Jan 15, 2002.

1. im going to have about 550 canadian $$ and ive decided to buy a new bass. I have been told the jazzbass is better than the precision bass, and i have been told that the mexican jbass is better than the american. is this true? how much does a mexican jbass cost? how much does a pbass cost?
    and also im gonna have about 200$ for a new amp, its not much but i can add the money i have left over from my bass towards it, so any suggestions?

2. wow were you mislead.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Mexican Jazz better than American??:confused: Never heard that one before.

But, there is nothing wrong with MIM J's or P's. Which one you get is a matter of personal preference; buy the one that sounds and feels good to you. $550 Canadian is roughly about what, $350 American?? (not too sure on my currency exchanges:p ) For that amount you should be able to find one. And don't forget the used market! More often than not, you can get a LOT more bang for your buck buying a new used bass. Just something to check into.

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I will say it.

I was in the market for either bass. I tried real hard to like the American Jazz Deluxe. To me, the tone was hollow compared to the Mexican version.

I bought the Mexican by preference, not by financial constraints.

I don't agree that the Jazz is better than the Precision. They are different basses, each with their own sound.

I think I would like the American better if I got rid of the stock "noiseless" pickups. But I am not sure yet.

5. Okay here's my 6 cents...

I've never heard anyone liking the Std. (Passive) MIM Jazz over the American Series (Passive) Jazz.

I've heard many people like the Deluxe MIM Jazz over the Am. Deluxe MIA Jazz becuase they don't like the Fender Noiseless Pickups. (I feel the same way).

I've heard some people like the MIM P Standard over the MIA P. I don't know if its true, but they said its becuase the MIM P's pickup is a bit "hotter" and has more output than the MIA.

Now, the Jazz is no Better than a Precision, it is just different. Its a little bit more versitile, but versatility really doesn't make it better, especially if your never going to use it. The used market is wonderful, and I would definatly say go and take a look.