How much does a sadowsky go for?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I've been seeing them all over this forum, and I've heard a lot about them. I've checked the site, but there's no price list. How much are they?
  2. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    You know how the saying goes.....If you have to ask........
  3. Their standard four string model has a starting list price of $2875. The Ultra Vintage four string has a starting list price of $3275. I'm not sure of the actuall prices, but it gives you a rough a idea. I've never played one, and I'm curious, because they seem extremely expensive for what they are. I guess they must use very high quality woods or something. I guess not too many other bass companies still use Brazilian rosewood. (I realize this has been discussed in other threads, and I'm not trying to start a debate).
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The thing is, their list prices are their sale prices.

5. Well considering you born in 1988, you must have alot of money or some rich parents to have one at that age. (or spoiled)

They are pretty expensive. Over any limit I would ever spend on a bass :)
  6. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Sadly, the saying "if you have to ask.." applies here. I'd love one, but I can get a custom made bass locally for less than half the price of a Sadowsky.
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Probably wont be as nice as one though.

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    They do seem REALLY expensive for what they are. They use top notch hardware, proprietary Sadowsky-designed electronics, and select woods. All models are available left handed and/or fretless. 16 different solid finishes, 8 transparents. For a price list, you can e-mail with the subject=Price List Requested and he'll send it as a PDF file. I'd also be willing to bet that each bass is hand made with minimal CNC involvement. There's six guys on their team that need their salaries paid, and a dog that needs its food (Dot). Hence, the massive price tags for what to the naked eye would be a Fender clone.
  9. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada

That'd be up for debate, but it's beside the point. Sadowsky = mucho $$$$$, but nice.
  10. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    and this means?

11. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    ...umm...wanna guess again???
  12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Eh, it was a guess. I don't know a lot about Sadowsky basses, just got that info off of their site and took a stab in the dark with that.

fhodshon: CNC being computer-controlled routing. Kind of removes the "monday morning, friday afternoon" factor.
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That we start the age-old debate for the umpteenth time around here:

Sadowskys are made from parts : discuss!!

14. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I bought a 5-string classic Sadowsky for $1800 and sold it for $2400 within hours on ebay. I guess around $2400 for my model.
  15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Aren't all musical instruments made from Parts? :p :)
  16. MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    There's really no mystery about Sadowsky basses, you just have to play one to "know" plain and simple that they are fundamentally THE BEST J bass available!

Roger's attention to detail and specificity makes for a winning combo.You immediately feel at home on a Sadowsky, like an old familiar friend. Impeccable fretwork, dead straight neck and board and sound that fits a recording mix.

IMO this bass exceeds any J coming out the known custom shops today.

Weight, balance, wood, electronics and tone that knocks your socks off. It's all first rate.. I wanted a a great playing J that was solid in all respects without any apology .. For those of you that like J's, I'd be interested in knowing how many you've been through seeking to find "the perfect J"?

Oh .. and Roger happens to be a first class guy too! I'm not Dis'ing anyone but I've worked with several who want to build it the way they want to build it or charge you an arm and leg to make changes - take forever to followup with you on anything or completely diassociate themselves from you once they've got your money.... Don't think you'll find this kind of stuff with Sadowsky.

Hope this helps - Roger's basses ARE truly great and yes you pay a little more but end your misery once and for all when you step up to a Sadowsky because you truly do have the best jazz ever!

*the above statements are my own opinion and make no representation on behalf of either talkbass, roger sadowsky or sadowsky basses in new york or tokyo* :hyper:

hehe ...enjoy!
  17. theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
    Hey Guys,
    I have a like new 2003 model Sadowsky 24 fret 5 string bass with ash body and maple board for sale. The finish is '59 burst. Pickups are Sadowsky soaps. Comes as new with Sadowsky Ultralite case and paperwork. 5 months old. Email for pics. New was $3200, crunch sale for $2600.
  18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats considered SPAM and isnt allowed in the general forums.

Post that in the for sale section.

That is all.

19. Excellent post, I could not have said it any better!

20. dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    If you email Roger, he will send you a price list.