1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How much does a seperate poweramp color your preamp sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Newget, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Newget

Newget

Mar 10, 2006
    Hello, I am using an Eden WT330 with a Nemesis 212. I want to add more power and cabs but hate spending $ if I don't have to. I like my 330's tone but it isn't recomended for 2 ohm load. Will a seperate power amp solve the problem? Does the poweramp see the 2 ohm load and the preamp have nothing to do with it if I had a seperate power amp and used the 330 for preamp only? Then, how much would a seperate power amp color the tone I already get from the 330. Power amps can be got cheap, at least cheaper than a $1100 wt550 or $1600 WT800, but does tone suffer?

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    well, your post has been sitting here for a little while so I thought I'd throw my .02 in.

I do believe that different amp designs CAN affect your sound in good and bad ways depending on what you like/need. however, I don't know many if any real reasons or examples of why/how this happens. I CAN ONLY TALK OF MY EXPERIENCES

My first venture into separates, kinda, was a SWR bass 350 HEAD. at first I kinda liked the sound, then I started wondering if it was a little dry/hard for my ear. I bought a Tech21 RBI preamp and bypassed the preamp of the SWR. The sound was better too me, but I needed more power. ditch the 350, add a stewart world 1.2 "digital switching" poweramp. light, powerfull and warmer than the swr amp. The RBI/Stewart are the heart of my "big" rig teamed with two Aguilar gs112 speakers.

My second venture happened when I borrowed my coworker's Eden WT300 (slightly rounder and heavier sound than the wt330 IMO) after feeling less than fully satisfied with the volume of the 300, LOVED THE TONE!!, I plugged the headphone output of the 300 into the input of my stewart poweramp. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but some SOME of the very low lows lost their weight or power. I don't know the technical reasons for this, but the result wasn't all bad, but different than desired.

NOW, I have the WT550 and it carries its weight and authority of lows just fine by itself, but I'll have to try and hook it up to the stewart and REEVALUATE the sound for you...

3. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Have you checked with Eden? Starting at some cut-off date, the WT330 does handle a 2 ohm load, and puts out 420 watts at that load. I used to play through a WT330 and a 4 ohm NSP212 plus a 4 ohm NSP210. Great tone, and very loud. Or, you can get Eden to upgrade it to WT405 specs, and it'll put out something over 600 watts at 2 ohms. I think the upgrade is a lot cheaper than buying a poweramp, although you'd be without your Eden head for a while.

I know you post over on the Eden forum, as I used to before I stopped playing through Eden gear ... if you haven't already checked there, definitely ask. Also, there are a lot of guys over there with experience playing Eden heads and also playing the Navigator preamp with a poweramp ... I bet some of them would have very detailed info about how the sound is different.

If I were buying a poweramp right now, I'd look at the Stewart World 1.2 that McRelly mentions. It's only 11 pounds, and puts 1200 watts into 4 ohms bridged. Now, if you have two 4 ohm cabs, you can't bridge the amp, but it still puts 350 watts per side into two 4 ohm cabs in stereo mode. I can't personally say how the tone might be affected versus a stand-alone head, but hopefully McRelly or someone else will come back with first-hand experiences.

Best of luck! I liked the WT330 and Nemsis cabs I used to have. Although I like the Euphonic Audio gear I use now better ... ;)

Best Regards,

4. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    the power amps effect on the preamp tone depends on the power amp.

QSC PLX 2402 - not much
    Aguilar DB 728 - lots

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    thats what I was trying to say. Like in the HiFi stereo world bryston mosfet amp design is VERY warm and strong.

I do like the stewart for bass guitar, but for a home stereo or studio amp it is a little hard in the midrange for my taste...GET A BRYSTON!!!:hyper: