Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much does bass gear cost in UK?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Jan 30, 2002.

1. I am probably leaving Turkey in the summer and coming back to UK. Instead of shipping my gear over to UK, I am considering selling here and buying anew in UK. So....

Can you give me some idea of how much the following might cost?

1. Fender Bassman 25
    2. Fender Bassman 200

or similar...Ampeg gear also VERY acceptable. Not too keen on Trace.

And how much do strings cost? Can you get Thomastik Infeld in UK yet, or should dý stock up here in Turkey?

Lastly, how much do snd hand MIA Fender basses go for if I look secondhand?

Many thanks.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Gear here is very expensive - at least twice what it costs in the US and definitely more than anywhere else in Europe! :(

I always buy my strings on-line by credit card from US places and they are invariably half the price - even allowing for shipping! I have bought Thomastiks on-line but have never seen them in a shop in the UK.

As to prices - this is what I used to use Bassist magazine for - comparisons. But now we don't have a bass magazine in the UK - it's difficult without just going into shops. The Bass Centre has a website, for example, but they dont seem to keep it up to date.

The only thing I can suggest is an online directory of UK guitars shops like this :

http://dmoz.org/Shopping/Music/Instruments/Stringed/Guitar/

3. I was just comparing prices between here (here) and my friend in Bristol (there) and the prices of Fender gear are amazingly the same with exchange rate from pound to dollar.

4. I can buy Thomastik strings here cheaper than online in US (40 dollars for the 5 string set, 30 for the 4), so I'll buy a couple of sets before I come (2 sets= 4 years of strings!).

Amps, though...I'm not shipping amps over.

Sorry about the increasing illiteracy of my posts, btw...

:)

5. bttt...

Because I would be really graeful if someone could put down some example prices...

6. Bruce Lindfield

Well, I'd like to help, but as I said I used to get my info on prices from Bassist magazine and then Guitarist but I haven't bought Guitarist for over year!

I haven't seen many used Fenders over here - I paid about £1300 for the Roscoe Beck signature new.

On strings - I used to buy D'Addario SlowWound sets from the Bass Centre in London for £46, but I can get them from the internet for about £20 !

MIA Fenders are around £1,000 new in my local shop - which has mostly TE amps. I bought my Eden amp for about £900 and my EA cabs for about £800 each from Overwater in Carlisle.

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
  8. Bruce and Johnny, this is EXACTLY the sort of info I need. Thanks a lot!

9. Bruce Lindfield

The links provided by Johny were interesting for a number of reasons. So "Sound Control" say they are the No.1 Music Retailer, but I've never heard of them before! Secondly - looking at their site and the bass part in particular - there is not one thing they stock, that I would want - even if it was given to me!

All the basses are cheap tat IMO and not even a MIJ Fender in sight! Bizarre!

The other link typifies a trend I have noticed in the Uk recently - so there is loads of "high end" high quality, guitar gear - but no bass stuff at all!

It is getting really depressing for bass players - so I go into my local music shop - loads of PRS and Parker Fly - hundreds of guitars costing £4 or £5 thousand - even acoustics! But a few cheap basses in a corner with one or two TE and Peavey amps !! :(

10. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yeah, Sound Control are a bit full of themselves for a Scottish company with I think one or two stores in the North of England!!!! The link is to their mail order site!!

The only one of their shops I've been into is the Glasgow one - they have a dedicated Bass Department. Some of the stock inlcudes Warwick and Musicman, and also TE, Ashdown, and Ampeg. All of their Fenders seem to be the MIM variety though. I have bought a lot of stuff out of there, but my Spectors and most of my TE gear had to be ordered!!

I know exactly what you mean about the lack of choice for Bass - lots of shops up here stock a lot of mid to high end guitar stuff, but bass is restricted to Squier, Epiphone, Ibanez and some MIM Fender stuff!!!!

11. Bruce Lindfield

I think somebody needs to contact "Trading Standards" and point out they are making false claims!;)

Seriously - almost all of the shops in London have far better stock than this and I have visited Cranes in Cardiff which is excellent - I bought my Fender RB5 there!