How much does defretting cost?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by macool, Apr 15, 2002.

1. I've got a Peavy four-string fretted Fury and I recently got a five-string Cirrus. I always wanted to have a fretless so I thought that I could just have my four-string defretted. I've heard that you can do it yourself, but I don't want to run the risk of ruining my bass so I think I'll go have it done professionally. I have no idea how much this costs and I also would like to know if it will sound any different than a naturally fretless bass.
  2. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    I had my Cirrus 5 professionally defretted at a well-respected Portland shop (12 fret). The total bill was 300, but that included some new Thom flatwounds and a fresh oiling for the walnut. I would guess that you can get a very nice job for around $150 to $200 dollars.
  3. just dropped mine off last night. the total will be $250. but, I already had a set of flats on it that are in good shape.
  4. What does a pro do that is any different than what you can do at home? Other than using the proper tools, I mean.

What would they fill the gaps with?

I defretted a bass, and I'm thinking about defretting another. The one I defretted has a rosewood board. I filled the gaps with a wood puty, and layered it with epoxy.
  5. he told me that he will remove the frets, fill the slots with maple veneer, sand and wax the neck, and then cut the nut deeper to get proper action. after he does all that, he will call me to pick it up, and when I get there he will set it up to my style. not bad for the price, I think it will be worth it.
  6. How exactly do you get the frets out?
  7. it's a good idea to heat them with a soldering iron as you're doing it (to melt any glue that may be present) and you can either pry them out with a screwdriver, or i've seen some kind of tool....for some reason i think it was used for cutting tile....anyway, it has two jaws (obviously)with blades that are perpendicular to the handles. someone suggested getting a pair of them, and grinding down the front to be completely flat. that way, you won't damage the fretboard, and you can pull out the frets fairly easily.