Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much does Fender MIA Jazz V string weigh?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eduardo, Oct 4, 2004.

1. eduardo

eduardo

Mar 25, 2001
    BRAZIL
    Does anyone know how much Fender MIA Jazz V string weigh?
    Thanks. Eduardo

2. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    My Delux V Jazz made of Alder is 9 lbs

3. eduardo

eduardo

Mar 25, 2001
    BRAZIL
    Thank's sdguyman, but I would like to know if the American Series or American Standart V string model are heavy or not.

4. With most mass produced basses weight is going to vary to extremes between different instruments. I had a fender four string jazz that weighed about 11-12 lbs, but I've played ones significantly lighter and some even heavier.

Only way to know what weight you're getting is to play the bass beforehand.

5. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I understand. Mine is an American Deluxe V. I'm not exactly sure if there would be a dramatic difference in weight. The difference would be the wood used. Ash is much heavier than adler. Active electronics is heavier than the passive electronics.

6. Yeah, but the American Deluxe has a smaller body than the regular one. I'd say the weight would be slightly greater on an American Series. My MIA Deluxe 4 is very light.

7. Also, you can't generalize Ash as being heavier than alder; this may be the case a good portion of the time but not always so. Im not sure if fender only uses Northern Ash (the so called heavier variety) or swamp ash, but either way it still depends entirely on the individual bass.

Also the difference in weight between active electronics and passive for weight is negligable; you won't feel any difference with most onboard pre-amps in terms of weight.