How much does that thing weigh?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by lurk, Jul 9, 2019.

1. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    NYC
    People have been asking me this for 50 years. I finally weighed it. 24 lbs. In the case with cables, clip on tuner, ear plugs, stand light, pencil etc, 28 lbs. Now I'm wondering how much others weigh. Is mine heavy, light, or about average?

mikewalker likes this.
  2. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Heavy. My previous Chinese bass was 21 lbs. My Lemur neck off bass is less than 20 lbs. Only relevant when traveling by air , no?

3. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    NYC
    I'm in NYC and often take the subway (a place where I often get this question) and thus often travel by stair where I feel those pounds.

Fredrik E. Nilsen and Tom Lane like this.
  4. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    My Alcoa weighs 27 pounds. That's including a custom adjustable 4-footed sound post, electronics including Vic's Model C 2-piezo kit, K&K Dual Channel Pro ST on-board blending pre-amp, patch cable, 2x mono splitter cable, quiver, bow and Pop's. I figure about 2 pounds worth of stuff there (the stock spruce sound post weighs about 5oz.).

The case also contains some tools, spare parts, spare strings, spare bow, spare endpin, etc... I've not weight the bass in the case but I'd guess very close to 50 pounds. I'm a very big Bass-Buggy fan.

5. Every once in a while someone who sees me dragging my bass around says something like ”poor you, that thing must be heavy”.

I usually answer ”no, it’s hollow, there is only air inside”.

KUNGfuSHERIFF and jmlee like this.
  6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    When I'm asked "Is that thing heavy?", my general response is "Not for the first block..."

lurk, Adam Booker and isolated like this.
  7. isolated

isolated Zenji Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Bronx, NY
    Once, waiting for the R at Union St., I had a guy ask me how heavy the bass was. Before I could answer, he went on (getting progressively more agitated) "Is it as heavy as a saddle? A full saddle weighs sixty pounds! Does it weigh 60 pounds?"

At the time I had a Cronkhite-era Reunion Bag, so sometimes it felt like it....

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Yeah, mothershager, try carrying a SADDLE! Weak ass namby pamby bassists, carrying around a light piece of wood. With a WHEEL, no less. Mothershaging no saddle carrying ********....

Gotta love New York.

james condino, lurk and isolated like this.
  9. isolated

isolated Zenji Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Bronx, NY
    It was such a very specific kind of weirdness...then I remembered that cowboy scene way down at the Prospect Park stables.

Ed Fuqua likes this.
  10. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    My old bass was just under 20 pounds, maybe 22 in it's bag. I walked a lot of blocks with it on my right shoulder. Tough to cross a street when you can only look to the left. The new Thompson is a little heavier, and it's bag must weigh 5 pounds, but offers much better protection

11. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    My answer is generally "Not that much. It's mostly air."

12. I am often met with "Why didn't you choose flute?" My answer usually is "I know what I would rather be playing when the Titanic sank (the bass floats!)."

I am often also met with "Can I help you carry it." My answer is " Thank you, but if I can't carry it I can no longer play the bloody thing!!"

SteveA and lurk like this.
  13. notabene

notabene

Sep 20, 2010
    SF Bay area
    When someone (it happens a lot) asks, "don't you wish you played piccolo?", my truthful answer is, "I do play piccolo, but if I'm carrying it to a gig, I would also be carrying (theoretically, and ocassionally for real) flute, clarinet, bass clarinet, tenor, alto, soprano, and baritone saxes, and the stands necessary to use them. Makes the bass and amp/ speaker, etc. seem easy. At least, with the ipad now can save me 30 pounds of books.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021