How much does the speaker cab matter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sam Dingle, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Very straight forward question. Is it weird to mix brands? Here's my delema:

I had a TC Electronic head (the 250 watt one I believe) and I thought "this is fine". I had never tried another head. I tried my friends aguilar head and fell i love. bought one and sold the TC.

The only cabinet I have is a genz benz 10" speaker and its great for gigs where I have to bring my upright bass. I'm worried though cuz the aguilar head is rated for 350 watts and the speaker only 200.

So I've looked around (with a very small budget) and think I can pick up a TC electronic cabinet locally. the RS210. I haven't played it yet but my question is: if i didn't like the head will the speaker also sound the same way, or do speakers simply not matter in terms of tone/sound?

EDIT: Here's the thing I tried my friends 500 watt aguilar head though the aguilar cabinet that is best paired with it (its big haha). I liked the sound of my aguilar 350 watt head through it. I also like the sound of my aguilar 350 head though my genz benz mini cabinet.

But I don't want to ruin the small genz benz speaker. I dont turn the volume louder than 12:00 because I don't want to blow the speaker. In the long run I need a bigger cabinet. I would love to just get the Aguilar cabinet, but its a little out of my price range.

I found a TC Electronic Speaker that I can afford that wouldn't limit my head. But I don't want the sound that my old TC Electronic head had. If the guy ever writes me back I'll see if i can try it first.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member

The short answer is yes, your choice of speaker does effect the sound. The sound of a speaker also depends on where you are standing relative to it. So you should consider that when you buy a speaker. In the end what matters is: Do I like how it sounds? Is it loud enough for the application?

smogg and BasturdBlaster like this.
  3. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I actually think it's weird to not consider mixing brands.

Cabinets matter immensely and in my opinion may have the single greatest impact (front of house sound reinforcement not included) on your outward sound, which makes perfect sense as they're the final stage in your chain. With that being said, a rig is only as good as its weakest link.

It's hard to tell if you truly like or dislike any one piece of equipment without trying it with other equipment: who knows if it's the head or the cab that you like/don't like otherwise? You fell in love with your friend's Aguilar head - did you play it through his cab? Did you try your head through his cab?

Before weighing in further about wattage or safety, what kind of situations/volume needs will you need from this rig? I find drum volume to usually be the determining factor. What style of drummer, if any, will be most often accompanying you?

Edit: I think I understand what your question might be: if I didn't like the TC head sound, will I also not like the sound of their cabinets?

While some brands may be associated with a certain tonal profile, more often than not cab tone will vary even from cab to cab within a single line of a single brand's product range. The only way to know if you'll like a combination or not is to try it I'm afraid, or if you're adventurous, to take the word of others who have used a similar combination in the past and can provide guidance (not optimal).

4. Speaker/cab makes as much difference as the amp if not more............

Considering you can take the same exact speaker and have it sound different if placed in a different designed cab just shows that it is not only the speaker, but also the cab design that determine the sound.

5. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Cabs matter...yes they do. Mixing cabs can be a crap shoot. If you're thinking of pairing the 210 with the single 10, I would advise against it. The single 10 will struggle to keep up with the 210, and may be compromised. However you are using the BH250, which at 4 ohms is only putting out 500 watts. That would be 250 to each cab. You might be ok, but please put the (1) 10" cab on top so that you can hear it if it starts to struggle.

Lvjoebass and cchorney like this.
  6. monkeyfinger

With the 2x10 and a 1x10, it may be under a 4 ohm load if used together. Only a few amps can handle less than a four ohm load. Check the speaker and amp specs. Never use a load less than specified by the manufacturer.

7. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    If he is going with the Genz single 10 (8 ohms)Shuttle Series | GENZ BENZ and the RS210 (8 ohms) Tech Specs | TC Electroniche should be fine.

Killed_by_Death and BFunk like this.
  8. monkeyfinger

Yeah, then you are right about stressing the 1x10. If the impedance on both cabs are the same, they will both see the same load.

9. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

about as much as the tires on your automobile
    it's literally where the rubber meets the road on a vehicle

and figuratively so with speakers, because that's the last device before the sound comes to your ears

Lvjoebass, Ewo, james condino and 2 others like this.
  10. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    Heads and cabs are completely different things with different design goals and challenges. I don't think there's any reason to think not liking the head means you won't like the cab. Unless you're talking about general construction or build quality issues, I guess.

On the other hand, speakers do matter a lot in terms of tone and sound.

11. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Exactly which speaker model do you currently have? This will help you get an accurate answer, and it may be a different for different answer for different models.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  12. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    Ketchup goes on hamburgers, and mustard goes on hot dogs is just a saying.

Stuff affects stuff, and sometime you have to go find the combo that works for your situation.

You can totally go with a shrink wrapped solution like a rock PJ bass with a GK head and a hartke cab.

A P bass on an SVT rig is cool.

A fretless J bass on an Acoustic 360 is iconic.

Semi hollow bass on a legit tube B15 or B18 with flats sounds like 20 years of recorded music.

Run through a gear pile and find your own deal.

Lvjoebass likes this.
  13. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    My rig is a GK/Laney mashup. and GK/GK would be particularly useful as it's the only real way I could make use of my biamped tweeter master. It's a completely useless knob and feature with the Laney. But I love it. Use what sounds good. Try before you buy any time you are able. and don't be afraid to save your pennies for the stuff you really want. I gigged with a little practise combo for years before my full rig came into being. Do what you can with what you have.

14. I haven't played a pure brand rig since 2012.

All else equal and ample amp, a 210 is a dangerous addition to 110. As you turn up there is an illusion of massive headroom which evaporates as you hit the limit of the 110. At that point you have only a slight advantage in sensitivity over turning up the 210 by itself, which would get near as squeak as loud as the stack.

If the 110 is too little I would sell it before breaking it. Find a 210 that sounds good with your amp and get two of them. That will go proper rowdy.

15. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Well, it especially makes sense because speakers are the only mechanical transducer in your chain once you get past the pickups...and the distortion/non-linearities exhibited by mechanical transducers are orders of magnitude greater than those exhibited by any competently-designed electronics.

Which is a fancy way of saying Speakers Have A Greater Impact On Your Sound Than Amps Do.

Passinwind likes this.
  16. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Which is more important, the music or the lyrics?

Musicians often feel that it's the music but, truth be told, nobody would care if there were no lyrics. Speaker cabs are the equivalent of the lyrics. They are the voice of the rig, the cabinet matters.

17. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    Reads like an answer to a question not asked.
    Seriously, as long as there is no impedance given by anything I just take by default 8 Ohm for a single driver.
    So it's hypothetical if the answer given to a question not asked is either wrong or right.

BadExample likes this.
  18. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    The cab is trying to interpret whatever signal it gets from the bass and amp turning that into sound then your ears take over which is why we have so many different cab choices :)

BadExample and beans-on-toast like this.
  19. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    OP has a 1x10 cab and is thinking about buying a 2x10; he didn't say whether he was thinking about using the 2x10 instead of, or in addition to, the 1x10. @jlepre correctly pointed out that if OP is thinking about the latter, it is probably not a good idea. Maybe the question wasn't explicitly asked, but this is certainly good advice and relevant to OP's decision.

BadExample likes this.
  20. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    +1 ( Or_wink.gif ) Not only do I not care if there are no lyrics, virtually all the music I would pay for is that way. I particularly despise jazz with lyrics added after the fact.

Errr...

Nevrmind.jpg

"Never Mind"

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021