Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much does your band get paid?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Greatcrimson, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Greatcrimson

Greatcrimson Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Central NJ, USA
    Just starting to gig again and interested to know what bands are getting paid today in clubs and restaurants in NJ or on the east coast in general. We play classic and some newer rock.

Thanks.

2. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    When we play the east coast we usually get around 8K a night.

3. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Don't leave the house for less than $100 per man. I'm in NJ too, and that's reasonable.

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    That's about how it is way over here in SE Wisconsin USA.

Classic Rock Trio; bring our own small PA; little bars and bar/halls up a little NW of Milwaukee.

Joe

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    HAHAHAHAHAHA! That's a good one!

6. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    Yeah...$100-125 per person is average in the Carolinas for a club gig

7. my band played a show and got free food. sorta like pay. it was at this church owned place. we had fun, saw a guy get his head cut open :eek: but it wasnt the first time for that,

pay is nice but starting out playing out pay is hard to find for us.

8. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO

There's a few things about that post that just don't sit right with me..... :eyebrow:

Around Chicago land the average pay (once you get your name out) is around 100-120 $ per person. Sometimes you get a say in cover charges, sometimes you don't. More often you don't.

Oog

9. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Club gigs $100, Private Parties $150 per man and up. Bluestooges are a trio.

10. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Depends on the gig...standard pub gig 100/150 euro.....weddings..200/250 euro...."depping" with big band...500euro per gig...(and no carrying gear...sweet)

11. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well out here in Los Angeles if you play at all the clubs in the Sunset and Hollywood strip you don't get paid jack! In fact the clubs expect you to sell tickets and bring clients into their club because they are incapable of doing so. But if you avoid the hollywood clubs which are dumps and suck then you can make at least $100 a night. It's all about playing weddings, private parties, corporate gigs or sidelining for a label out here. It's not easy being a working musician out in LA becuase there's a whole lot of folks out here who actually believe their going to make it big and end up working for free all the time. This has got the clubs used to not paying for the services of musicians. The same goes with be a session player, every body and their moma has a studio out here. Even I have one.
    Oh well, time to go look for a job.

12. LMAO

my band has been paid once in 18 gigs. that was £100 for the lot of us including expenses...
    that said, that's for an original band, covers bands seem to still be able to rake it in...

13. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    NJ night club gigs will pay, on the average, between $300-$500 per night for the band .... this is for average, run-of-the-mill bands without a specific following. How much you get as an individual band member depends on the size of the band and what kind of cut the leader may (or may not) take off of the top.

Better known bands in the area will generate a higher rate of pay, but they also have a following and the clubs get bigger crowds. NJ Bands like Dr. Cheeko, Mike Dalton, Urban Trip, Big Orange Cone, Undisputed, Big Bang Baby, etc., play on a wide variety of contract agreements with clubs, plus there are agents and managers involved.

There are also many, many smaller bands playing for almost no money or for the draw at the door .... :scowl:

14. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Nothing, just the travelling expenses... :meh:

15. if recent bookings are an indicator, 3-5 hundred a gig.

16. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I am jealous. Here in chicago, if you are a rock band playing your own materiel and don't have a big following you pretty much get the following deal.

The club will start you out on a weeknight
    The first 40 or so (varies) of the door goes to the the soundguy, and the remainder goes to the band based on how many people say they are there to see you when they get to the door, or how many people bring in your flyer.

If you draw well, 40-60 people, they might give you a friday or saturday show, where the payment might be more due to a higher door fee and more folks coming in to see you.

It really is all about the draw for independent bands in chicago. They aren't paying you to provide music for their customers, they are paying you to bring in new people to drink their beer. The way to make more money is to raise your status, by getting a following, getting signed, or getting an agent.
    I'm not the expert here, but I've been with the same poprock band in chicago for 2-3 years and 40-50 gigs, and that's what I have found.

Note, that cover bands and theme acts make better money often at good flat rates.

17. That's the way to go. In the quintet I play in, anything less than 2 hundred is a "low-paying gig." Really musicians should be paid more than that. Even if you're just playing a one set event or whatnot, take into consideration total driving time, set-up/soundcheck, and even rehearsal time. And then you'll find we're getting minimum wage or less. :p

18. jbahleda

jbahleda

Feb 22, 2004
    I play in Ohio with and do an 80% origional set with a four person band. We try not to play a hometown gig for under 100 a person. Out of town is a very different case as we have little to no draw, so we are happy to get gas money then.
    Having a CD to sell can make the cost (mostly the bar tab) of out of town gigs a bit softer.

19. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Having ANYTHING to sell helps a lot. Sell 5 tshirts, a dozen CDs, 20 buttons, a handful of stickers, and a hat, and suddenly you've made $150-$200 more. That can turn a $100 gig into a $300 gig. It can turn a $300 gig into a $500 gig.

(And the real nifty thing is that if ONE band member buys all the shwag to begin with, that ONE band member makes all that extra profit. Turns a $50 cut into a $250 cut. Very nice.)

20. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    $3-$10 per person in Albuquerque NM.