1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How much for a broken Geddy Lee?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SMILEYSIXX, Oct 7, 2010.

1. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    My school jazz band has three basses, two of which are broke. I'm not sure the exact nature of the issue, but from what I uunderstand the pickups in this Geddy Lee are shot and the electronics in general just crashed. It now sits in a locker untouched by anyone. I want it, and I know my teacher would probably sell it but I'm not sure what a good price is for it. Anyone have any idea where the price would be?

2. I tried to get my jazz band teacher to sell me an old Kramer DMZ...apparently, he'd have to auction it off.

3. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Me and my teacher are pretty cool with each other. He's mainly a bassist, so it's that kind of unspoken bond between me him and the upper jazz band player. Haha. I already talked to the upper band player and he said no one uses it and no one wants it because they don't wanna take the time to fix it. I just wanna get it because I wanna kinda custom build a jazz and figured if I can get it cheap, I'll use the body and neck and replace the electronics.

4. I just saw a good condition Geddy for $750 in a local music store. New electronics would run, what...$150? So $600 would be a good price, I suppose.

5. Anything over $400 without the electronics is too much

6. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    I was thinking 500 or 600. I'm still considering looking to trade my Schecter Studio 5 for an active MIM jazz deluxe, so that comes first, but if I have the chance, I'd like the get my hands on that Geddy.

7. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    It's passive. Worst case, you'll need two pickups, three pots, and a capacitor. I would bet it is the input jack.

I would tell him it could cost a couple hundred to fix it and offer him $500. Maybe you should start at $300 and hope you get lucky.

What is your budget?

8. The market is flooded with Geddy's so there are plenty mint under $650

9. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Well used Geddy's generally go for 750. An average set of Jpups run between 100 and 150. Three pots for the jazz is about 15, the output's another 5 plus a couple bucks for a capacitor. Plus the time it would take to fix. And I don't even wanna think about the blemishes on the bass from a few years of use by teenagers. I actually think your estimate of 400 is about right.

10. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    One or two hundred plus about 100 from work, whatever I might be able to get out of my grandma for my report card, then whatever I can borrow from my mom.

I'd say I'm looking at maybe 400 to start with.

11. Think of it this way. You can get a mint American Jazz for around $750-800 used...so the Geddy naturally will be a lot less

12. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    Since they don't know what's wrong with it, tell him it could cost up to $200 to fix it and offer $300.

What are the other two basses?

13. It's used, electronics shot... what are the odds they're ACtually gonna fix it?
    Find out ANYTHING else you can find wrong with it. Dings (claim it drops street value), warps, scratches, loose screws etc.

Offer 200 and let the negotiations begin!

14. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Smiley... this could be the start of something GREAT!

Get it, even at $400 it's a pretty straight deal, the necks and bodies go for that much total separately on the 'Bay.

I agree with what someone else said, these basses are just passive, there's just not that much that can go wrong with them that can't be easily repaired by anyone who can solder (know anybody into RC Cars? They can solder!)

Learn by experience, take this one apart slowly and I'd bet $10 you'll find a loose wire or two... that's all. Pickups really don't usually "go bad" unless there's notable physical damage.

You can do this. You might wind up with an awesome instrument and a bunch of useful repair knowledge.

15. trayner1

trayner1

Jul 1, 2010
    La Jolla,CA
    I would throw down 2 hundo to start. I got a used MIA Guild Pilot V String w/ shot electronics for 150...you could begin the negotiations at 200, But I wouldn't go past $500. Also, check this out: http://basspartsresource.com/bass_electricalwiringkits.htm
    Pretty affordable stuff there.

16. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Thanks guys! This really is a great chance. At first I was thinking of asking about just the neck and bridge off it, but figured for a little less I could get the whole thing. I think I'll go with 250 to start and see where he'll go with it. If he'd trade, i'd replace the broken Geddy with my modded dean zone if he wanted. It's a pretty straight deal too. I'll check it out tomorrow and keep you posted.

17. Anjohl

Anjohl

Oct 2, 2010
    Offer $200, and if he sells it for that, run away cackling.

18. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    It's most likely just a wire that fell off, or like stated above the output jack. Pups and electronics just don't fail very often. Even if a pickup 'died', you can usually spot the tiny wire that broke and do a repair, but both died at the same time?, not likely. Everything failing at the same time is going to be near the output jack.
    Ask if there's something you can buy for the school band that's similar value to a broken bass guitar, and make a trade, no doubt there's something they need that's not in the budget. That would probably be a lot easier for the teacher to deal with than selling the schools bass for cash. I'd also try for the $300-$400 range.

19. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    I assume this is a high school. I would bet money that some kid shoved a pencil in the jack and bent the contact plate. If so, bend the contact back and play.

If they won't sell it to you, ask if they will let you try to fix it. :hyper:

20. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Why is this? I've never played one (I'd like to), but people on here gush about how great they are. I wonder why there would be so many on the market.... Thoughts?

(sorry to hijack)