1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How much for a corvette?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dave_clark69, Aug 14, 2003.

1. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    i think this is the right forum.

I am wanting to get the wawick active corvette standard 4 string in bubinga. I found a US site that had it for $909 with a bag, i thought this soundded quite good because it is about £50 cheaper than everywhere in england. I asked them how much they think shipping would cost, and he replied $200 What??????????????????? i was thinking like $70-$100. How much does shipping from america to england normally cost? Is $200 as standard. I also found a site with free shipping and is $119.99 but i dont know if it is active or passive (its on music123)
    The best offer i have seen is £770 active, bubinga but i think that is a bit over the price range for it. Can anyone help me with this shipping (it did mention insurance and shipping for $200). Is this like some special 1 day thing or what?

thanks

dave

2. it is expensive to ship something that heavy and "oversized" to the UK and europe. my mother lives in italy and i used to send stuff to a woman in scotland... "it aint cheap"

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The list price is $1399, that is the price range (but, of course, street price is lower) - you can be happy you found it cheap. Some dealers would probably ask far more for it...

What you didnt count in was that the shipping price includes insurance - which is a costly factor.

And you can check out whether the bass is active or passive by the knobs:
    -- active: three pots, the third stacked (visibly bigger)
    -- passive: three normal knobs

But im quite sure for $199 its passive (dont think them to be so stupid!)

And one more thing: free shipping may only apply to US - or maybe just some states in the US

So heres what I say: buy it in England and try it out (important! the neck may feel uncomfortable to some people) or go used...

4. Cisco Kid

Cisco Kid

Sep 27, 2001
    London
    i got mine from the bass centre for £730 with a really really nice case with velvet padding inside, i think it retails for £900 or something there tho, i told them i could get it on www.soundslive.co.uk for £700 and they said £730 was the best they could do, im glad i paid the extra £30 to try it out and actually see it before i got it tho :)

5. I was able to scaor a mint 94 corvette proline for 700 bucks. Seymour Duncan Pu's and all the goodies before they changed.

6. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    wow gold. Thanks for all your help. i have found a website where my sister lives in brighton with a active ash corvette for £600 or in bubinga to £660 with £10 postage but i may be able to get the VAT off if i was to buy it through my school and get it down to £535 +postage, which i think is the best deal i am going to find for a new bass

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    not to bum you out, but my corvette is a serious neck diver. i still play it because the tone is awesome.

just be careful with the wrist