How much for a corvette?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dave_clark69, Aug 14, 2003.

1. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    i think this is the right forum.

I am wanting to get the wawick active corvette standard 4 string in bubinga. I found a US site that had it for $909 with a bag, i thought this soundded quite good because it is about £50 cheaper than everywhere in england. I asked them how much they think shipping would cost, and he replied $200 What??????????????????? i was thinking like $70-$100. How much does shipping from america to england normally cost? Is $200 as standard. I also found a site with free shipping and is $119.99 but i dont know if it is active or passive (its on music123)
    The best offer i have seen is £770 active, bubinga but i think that is a bit over the price range for it. Can anyone help me with this shipping (it did mention insurance and shipping for $200). Is this like some special 1 day thing or what?

2. it is expensive to ship something that heavy and "oversized" to the UK and europe. my mother lives in italy and i used to send stuff to a woman in scotland... "it aint cheap"
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The list price is $1399, that is the price range (but, of course, street price is lower) - you can be happy you found it cheap. Some dealers would probably ask far more for it...

What you didnt count in was that the shipping price includes insurance - which is a costly factor.

And you can check out whether the bass is active or passive by the knobs:
    -- active: three pots, the third stacked (visibly bigger)
    -- passive: three normal knobs

But im quite sure for $199 its passive (dont think them to be so stupid!)

And one more thing: free shipping may only apply to US - or maybe just some states in the US

So heres what I say: buy it in England and try it out (important! the neck may feel uncomfortable to some people) or go used...
  4. Cisco Kid

Cisco Kid

Sep 27, 2001
    i got mine from the bass centre for £730 with a really really nice case with velvet padding inside, i think it retails for £900 or something there tho, i told them i could get it on for £700 and they said £730 was the best they could do, im glad i paid the extra £30 to try it out and actually see it before i got it tho :)
  5. I was able to scaor a mint 94 corvette proline for 700 bucks. Seymour Duncan Pu's and all the goodies before they changed.
  6. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    wow gold. Thanks for all your help. i have found a website where my sister lives in brighton with a active ash corvette for £600 or in bubinga to £660 with £10 postage but i may be able to get the VAT off if i was to buy it through my school and get it down to £535 +postage, which i think is the best deal i am going to find for a new bass
  7. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    not to bum you out, but my corvette is a serious neck diver. i still play it because the tone is awesome.

just be careful with the wrist