1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How much for a Setup

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Soonerbldr, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Soonerbldr

Soonerbldr

Jul 31, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I've been having issues and found out that my action was really high and the stock strings were too big a gauge and it was causing finger numbness. So I've been looking at getting a setup done since I don't know yet how to properly set up the bass. What is the cost to get a basic setup and bass re-strung?

2. Bassfacist

Bassfacist

Aug 16, 2012
    Seattle
    Depends where you live and who is doing it. As an example, when I lived in Washington state GC charged upwards of over $100 for a "pro" setup but here in Idaho it is only $40 because there is not as much demand for it in a smaller market. But these costs can change from shop to shop and state to state. Your better off just watching a youtube video on how to do it. It is very simple but I get not wanting to mess anything up. I would just do some calling around to local music shops. Or ask next time you go into one for strings or what have you.

Hope that is helpful.

3. m0ranwad

m0ranwad

Jan 29, 2013
    I personally did my own setup for the first time last night, and it made a world of difference. I'm not very handy, but I did my homework.

I highly recommend watching videos, reading some articles, and considering doing it yourself. I feel like I have a better understanding of my instrument, and more importantly I don't have to rely on someone else.

For the record it's $50 here in Cleveland.

4. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    +1 To all the above. It's really easy and satisfying to do your own set-up. Most bass manufactures have all the info and how-to's on their websites. As stated above plenty of great vids on youtube. But to answer your question I had once payed 140.00 for a set-up!!
    Been doing it on my own ever since.

5. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    I look at setups like running shoes...I know...hang on and you'll get the analogy. The purpose of the setup is to get the bass to be the most comfortable according to YOUR playing style. Who is going to know that better than you? It's like getting a new pair of shoes then asking a buddy to break them in for you. Yeah, they're broken in for a run, but they're molded to HIS feet, not yours. It's not hard to do and it's an invaluable skill to have as a player.

6. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    Your analogy made absolutely no sense to me as I read it as "runny nose".....I was like, what the hell? then I re-read it. The world makes sense again.

seriously, OP...learn to do your own set ups....cost efficient and gives you a sense of accomplishment and pride.

Around here, a set up goes for 40 to 60 bucks.