Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much for a....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by squire_pwr, May 14, 2003.

1. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    Used, No-name bass, with a J and a P pickup, 3-way pickup selector switch, another switch that dims the volume just a tad (I think it's for slapping and maintaining the same volume), and volume and tone pots? It's in great condition (I don't remember any cosmetic marks), nice action, and sounds oh so clear compared to my Squire. It would come with a case too.

I know that's sorta vague, but any suggestions are welcome! Thanks!!

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'd agree. Sounds like my first bass. No need to spend money to get yourself that little more than your Squier; just save up a little and get one MUCH better.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Don't buy it.

I stepped up to a ibanez GSR200 from a squier p. it was a stupid buy.

Just over a year later, i ended up getting a MIM jazz.

Save up for a much better bass that what you have now.

4. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    Cool guys, thanks for the suggestions! A MIM Jazz does sound much nicer! :p Too bad there aren't more basses that let you switch between P-pickups and J-pickups... I like both sounds and don't want to have to choose between them. :) oh well, I guess I'll decide when I get to the point where I really need to upgrade the bass. Thanks again!!!

5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    If you ever find a bass and you cant tell what brand it is jsut buy looking at it, or it doesnt have a name and/or symbol on the headstock, DONT BUY IT. I dont know if people agree with me here, but it is probably a cheap imitation, and if you buy it, you will end up regretting it. It will cost you more repair and maintain, that it would to save up to buy a decent Ibanez or Yamaha. Especially dont buy it if you want to sell it again, because not many people want to buy something you know nothing about.

Thats just my 2 cents. ;) :D

6. BONZOBASS

BONZOBASS

May 7, 2003
    i own a japanese p-bass special(p-bass body,j bass neck, both p&j pick-ups,3 way selector switch)this bass sounds as good as any fender i've ever played,i added a bad-ass bridge and Dimarzio p/ups which made the grand total of my bass 425.00$ but you can get this bass on e-bay at any given time for about 300.00$ w/out the up-grades and it will sound alot better than a mex bass.(i know i own/owned a few mex's)the japanese bass from fender is right up there w/ the US made and a few bucks cheaper.:D