Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much for custom Moses neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mheintz, Mar 28, 2005.

1. 200

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  2. 300

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. 400

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. 500

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. 600

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. 700

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. 800

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  8. 900

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  9. 1000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1100

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    How much would you spend for Moses 5-string fretless neck with (a) an unusual custom heel cut, (b) installation and set-up, (c) hipshot ultralite tuners, (d) strings, and (e) delivery (to and fro). The bass that would have the neck retails for ~$1200 and has a fairly low resale value.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    your not good at life. delete these threads, make ONE.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You're not good at spelling, or grammar. Perhaps simply report problematic, duplicate posts in the future, instead?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yet i find your signature quite ironic. Okay make sure your grammar and everything is perfect when pointing out something to someone else, but hmm.

5. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    So far, interesting poll results. I appreciate the feedback, and of course, if you have any specific rationales for your price, I'd appreciate that too.

(Figjam and bassmonkeee, no worries. I am bad at posting, and your comments helped to bump the poll!)

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Both of you kiddies... SHUT UP ;)

The neck is probably going to cost more than the instrument is worth, and unless the instrument plays and sounds like more money than it's worth, I wouldn't buy the neck. Also consider that the neck will change the tone and feel, so it won't be the same instrument in the end.

7. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN

I think that is the point. My guess is that this guy wants to get a different tone/feel than the bass he has now, so the dilemma is whethere to sell this bass and get not much money or to put some money into the bass and hopefully end up with a bass he is happy with. I'm sure mheintz could shed more light on that.

But IMO, by the time you get custom neck, installation shipping and all that, you are going to pass the point of diminishing returns.

8. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    Exactly. The bass has some nice features, but I'm not crazy about the sound. After playing some basses with Moses necks, I'm quite sure that the Moses neck would sound better than the neck that I currently have. I would be more likely to keep the bass for a few years. However, with some patience and luck, I could snag a used bass that would sound better than my bass with the new neck. Perhaps, I'm just trying to make the most of an impulsive purchase. Then again, with the custom heel cut, installation, tuners etc... the quote from Steve is within the ballpark of quotes from other luthiers.

9. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    This used to be such a nice place to hang...
    ;-]

10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Moses necks are great, but there are no silver bullets when it comes to a bass sounding and feeling good. If your bass sounds like crap to you now, it may sound like snappier, longer sustaining, less deadspot crap when you get done. Generally the sound of a bass is the product of ALL of it's parts. If your bass sounds great but you are "phite-curious" then go for it if you've got the coin.

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    This is not a good topic for a poll - it's just a device for keeping the thread at the top. Poll closed.

12. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    It's my understanding that voting in a poll doesn't put the thread at the top, and it certainly wasn't intended to promote the thread. But I may be missing something, because HeavyDuty is always right. (After all, I did accidentally post this thread twice before I deleted it!) Thanks to those who voted and posted. I've decided to spend a few nights with my cash in my wallet before making a decision. Fancy that... Going to TB for fiscal restraint actually worked.