1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How much for MIJ Fender Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Willy B, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Willy B

Willy B Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Good afternoon, TB'ers. I'm wondering how much I should offer for a Japanese Fender Jazz (not for sale on TB, it's local). All I know is it's a 4 string, black headstock, pretty sure it's a late 90's model. Not too sure on the condition. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    About tree fiddy.

When dealing with basses, especially used, I follow the "no pics, no offer" school of thought. Plus it'll be hard to guess how much to offer without knowing the condition.

3. Willy B

Willy B Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    That's about what I was thinking. It belongs to an acquaintance, I've seen it once before, but haven't played it. I believe it was given to this person, who doesn't really play, so it's mostly just sat in a case for several years or longer. It was strung in a most shameful way. It needs a loving home.

Just got the serial #, it seems it's actually circa '84-87.

4. You'll want to know when it was made (Check Fender's website for a Serial Number Decoder). Condition, sound and other intangibles are all down to you. Try before you buy.

For a real-world value check, look at "completed listings" and "sold listings" on eBay for search term: "Fender MIJ Bass" or "Fender Japan Bass" or "Fender CIJ Bass" or the specific model you are considering.

5. I bought my 95 mij precision lyte with hardshell case for $400