Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much $ for rewire?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by carlos_07, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Hey all,
    I bought an Epiphone EB-0 6 months ago, now I wanna sell it (damn thing looks so much better than it plays).
    However, I noticed the wiring has come away from the (tone) knob when I opened up the back of the guitar :eyebrow: .
    It looks like a souldering job.
    I just wondered how much this would cost roughly? As it's a cheep bass I'm wondering whether it's worth it.
    Before anyone says 'go get an estimate' I don't wanna get ripped off!!

Thanx.

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    This is simple stuff. Easier than it was back before I played bass and I hotrodded basses and guitars out of the back of a music store.

So get a soldering pencil and look on the web for the stock wiring schema for that - or even hotrod it to another schematic. It's FUN! ; }

3. Hmmmmmmmmmmm
    I will end up burning my fingers,

No suggestions on $? :mad:

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Got any buddies who do guitars? It's the same for either guitar or bass.

5. best way to go: do it yourself. swing by the local radioshack, pick up the smallest tip soldering iron they have, some silver solder, and a desoldering tool. think of it as a learning experience. cost= 20-30 bux. now if you go this route ull need to find a wiring diagram for your bass, once you have that youre golden. ow, steps for soldering:
    1. let the iron pre-heat.
    2. desolder the parts that youre looking to fix.
    3. this step is called tinning. add a little bit of solder to the tip of your iron, and apply a thin layer to both the pot and the wire that you are soldering together.
    4.next put the wire to the pot terminal, use the tip of the iron to bond the 2 pices together, and hold them very steady for anout 10 seconds.
    5. give the wire a couple of light tugs, if it stays then you did it! if not repeat the process, and use a little bit more solder, and try holding the joint as steady as possible.

good luck!!
    -nick

6. My friend had it done twice, $50 each time. Once a guitar and once a bass.

7. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Geez....now THAT's what I call ripping!:eyebrow:
    (it's very likely that your buddy doesn't have too much customers for the fees he's applying:rollno: ).
    It's really a small job,every TV repairman should be able to do it for a few pounds.On that bass,opening the pots' cavity,soldering the loose wire(s) and checking overall wirings' integrity is a 10 minutes' job tops!!!I wouldn't dare to charge such a "job" more than a few quids,but,hey,that's my 2 (Euro) cents...
    Ask your closest TV repairman about HIS price on that BEFORE he opens the bass.If he's beginning telling you "tech stories",move on to the next door.
    Regards,

8. My friend had them worked on and forked that much over. It was a few years ago before I bought a soldering iron and got into doing that stuff on my own to help him.