Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much gap is too much gap?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Glenn D., Oct 6, 2004.

1. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'm looking to buy an existing Fender jazz body/hardware combo and add an aftermarket neck. I've found some Mighty Mite's out there that according to the seller are 2 and 15/32" wide. If the neck pocket is 2.5" wide, will I have trouble getting the neck aligned and mounted properly?

Thanks,

Glenn D.

2. No, you won't. That extra 1/32 of an inch will allow the neck to go into the pocket. Then that dimension is split to 1/64" on each side. That's a little looser than I usually make my own pockets (essentially 0 clearance) but it's WAY less than some of the factory Fenders I've laid eyes on. I've even seen a new factory MIM that had enough space to see the bottom of the neck pocket if you had a light to shine down there.

I'll repeat my usual mantra - Use steel inserts and machine bolts for attaching and you won't have a problem with alignment. This hardware package can clamp extremely tight.

3. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    Thanks, Hambone. I found another thread with a link to rockler.com will all the info I'll need.

Glenn D.