1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How much $$$ has your Recently Acquired Knowledge from TB cost you?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Baird6869, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

Personally, I just found this site about a year ago. Since then I have bought the following things I would have never bought without hearing/learning about them at TB.

- Lakland 55-02. I had never heard of Lakland until coming to TB. $700 used.

- 1974 Fender P bass. A TB-er knew I was looking for an older P and hooked me up with a beauty. Almost $2k

- BBE Sonic Maximizer, SansAmp RBI, Korg Rack Tuner. What the hell were these things a few months ago?:confused: $500+

- Fender Geddy Lee and two MIA Jazz V's (I posted that I had small hands). $2k+

Different cables, strings, etc.

$5000-6000 THIS YEAR!!!!:eek: :confused:

I am playing and sounding better than ever but you ba$tard$ are killing me financially.:p :D

Just kidding! Thanks for all of the great advice!:bassist:

2. um 169.99 and everyone was saying don't buy it!

:D

3. steve21

steve21 Banned

About 2 grand.

4. In Aussie Dollars:

$2700 for my Tony Franklin Fretless.
    $25 for a bass lesson.

:D

5. tonequixote

tonequixote

Feb 6, 2004
    Maine
    I've been enjoying Talkbass since 2000 at an average annual expense of 2-3 grand a year. The best part is I've enjoyed every dime of it.:D

6. ~500 (A new amp)

7. Since I've been seriously reading up on the forums over the past couple of years. ~15,000 or so.

8. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I'm going in the other direction. I am actually reading carefully, and spending less on gear. I am working on my technique, selling superfluous gear, and saving money.
    I did hemorrhage cash for a spell on pedals. I'm keeping my EHX pedals, but most everything else has gone or is going bye-bye.

9. Let's see.... I've been browzing tb for about a year now.

$400- Warmoth Neck with all the fixin's
    $200- Used Fender Precision
    $400- GK 700RB-II
    $350- Ampeg 2x10
    $250- Ampeg 1x15
    $170- EMG pj set

$1,7200, just counting the extra things that I was motivated to buy becuase of TB. (The Fender counts since I only bought it to mod it.) My wallet hurts.

10. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Well... this is in the last couple of years (since I started working at a job that pays a bit more than I need to survive):

Akai Deep Impact 240 euro (now sold)
    Eden WT550 1250 euro (now sold)
    Schroeder 1210R 1100 euro (now sold)
    Schroeder Mini12R 300 euro (now sold)
    NS Bass Cello $2300
    Glockenklang Heart Rock 1400 euro
    Glockenklang Double 900 euro
    Aria Sinsonido 300 euro
    Dingwall Prima 5 2000 euro
    Sadowsky Portabag 200 euro
    Fulltone Bassdrive 180 euro
    Tech21 XXLb 100 euro
    Sansamp PBDDI 200 euro (now sold)
    X-2 wireless 300 euro
    EhX BMS 200 euro
    Petersond Strobostomp 2 200 euro
    ...ok, actually I'll stop now because I'm bored (don't worry, I have quite a few more to list), you get the picture anyway :help:

11. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    (just counted, that's more than 7500 euro for the stuff I kept, and with lots of other pedals, george l cables, rockcase pedalboard etc we're very well over 8500 euro, which is more than $10,000. It was/is fun though!)

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    It's saved me money!

I find stuff I'm GASing for on Ebay for about half off retail.

13. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I'm also going to go a different direction. I don't think it cost me money and it may have also saved me money. How?

- I got to do a lot of research to help focus my searches on equipment that would work well for me.

- I learned about brands I might not have seen in stores (the 55-02 I had but unfortunately sold, the SX/Essex fretless, and my Dr. Bass cabinets).

- I've bought 2 basses and my head here and got equipment that was in very good to almost brand new condition for a lot less than I would have spent buying new.

TB has helped me spend wisely because I've learned what good deals were for the equipment I bought and it also helped me not waste money on equipment that might not suit me personally. I'm now very happy with what I have, which translates into no serious GAS pains, which translates into SAVING money.

14. haha...ive sailed the seas in that same boat.

15. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    59 €.

I recently placed an order for a fretless neck for my fretted Warwick. I was planning to defret it, but a TB'er suggested to replace the neck instead, which is a far wiser thing to do. I really hope I get this neck because a guy from Warwick that I sent the original inquiry to sent me a mail today stating they won't be able to sell such a neck unless it's a warranty replacement and that he was very sorry to inform about that. But I already ordered it through the Finnish Warwick dealer and placed a 59 € pre-payment for it, too. It'd p1$$ me off if I don't get it. Guess I'll know more tomorrow if there's some problems.

16. BuffaloMO

BuffaloMO

May 26, 2005
    Land of OZ
    Best $20 I spent was a TB supporting membership.

Also bought lots of misc gear. :D

17. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie

Mar 10, 2007
    Queretaro
    $525 since March...

18. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    So far in '07, I've only made a trade through TB, spent $20 to renew the supporting membership, and I MAY have purchased one pedal. That would only have been $150, but saved me $20 versus buying the alternative from another site.

19. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    GK 1001RB-II $1500 Australian new.
    Bongo 5HH Stealth $2800 Australian new.
    Berg HT322 bought and sold for a net cost of $100.
    Markbass 410HF $1500 Australian used at the time.

Private lessons - around 4K worth.

Sure i'm not Stanley Clarke, but i atleast i have a solid understanding of theory and technique.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

20. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Something in the neighborhood of $1800:

-GK Backline Stack (Backline 600 head, 115 and 210 cab)
    -Carvin head (from marcinski of TB)
    -$500-$600 in parts for a project bass I never could have completed without the wisdom and advice from fellow TB'ers

And:

Soon to lose another few hundred bucks investing in an inexpensive fretless.

I love losing money 'cause of you guys. :D