Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Much Hz is a low E?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jvasquez18, Mar 14, 2002.

1. jvasquez18

jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    yea i just bought a tuner and i don't get it. i thought it would be easier and faster. any input will be appreciated

2. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    Well I don't really understand why you need the Hz for the low E when tuning with a standard tuner. Normally a tuner is calibrated at 440Hz=A. But a low E is approx. 41Hz.

3. Well i can kind of help you out. I know that an open A string is equal to 440hz. I hope this helps you and keep cranking out the low notes :) :)

4. jvasquez18

jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    cuz the tuner has different calibrations. and i dunno how to tune it. it's a chromatic CA-30. i'm used to tune to my brother's guitar, and even his wasn't the right "E". and now that we got a tuner we don't know how to get the right "E" on the tuner

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Set it to A=440Hz. It should tell you the note and how close you are. If your brother's guitar was anywhere *near* in tune to begin with, go in the direction of the closest E. If it wasn't. . .find somebody who knows, to help you! :)

Your E should be one octave below the low E on the guitar.

7. notduane, that is the coolest website i have ever seen!!!!

I'm gonna make a 400 gauge "string", link it to an 8' scale bass, make a 48'' speaker and try to get the
    C-1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p :D

(coincidentally, why is that listed as the lowest? Is their just no point in going lower than that, cause It already take a 64 FOOT ORGAN PIPE!!!!!!!!! Or has it just not been done yet? Cause I gotta make the bass above.... heh)

I really want a BBBb octocontrabass clarinet now...that thing has got to have NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too bad their is only one made...I WANNA HEAR IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Or better yet, I want it....heh...is that leblanc guy still alive? can i borrow it...lol....

I do not have a fetish for RIDICULOUSLY LOW NOTES...

DID ANYONE SEE THE C#, F#, B, E bass???????? It looks like it is strung 110, 135, 165, 200!!!!!
    :eek: It's highest string is the same pitch as my loyal 4-string's lowest string!!!!

(coincidentally, although i DO in fact have a low note fetish, i doubt that I will ever go lower than B for my musical purposes, which include punk, ska and NON-downtuned metal)

http://www.jauqoiii-xreality.com/gal-markley.html

8. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

I guess that wacky Aussie pipe organ is the record-holder
    for the current, lowest working musical instrument.

The C at 8.18Hz is interestin'. That Vladimir Gavreau guy
    found that the "range of death" is between 3Hz and 7Hz
    when he was developin' an infrasonic weapon.

I'm sure he had more "oomph" behind the driver vs. the pipe
    organ but still...I wouldn't wanna be in Sydney Town Hall when
    they play the wedding march or Bach's Toccata and Fugue
    in D minor...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Here's about Dr. Gavreau -- http://www.borderlands.com/archives/arch/gavreaus.htm

9. WOW.....that site is just as cool!!!!!!!!!

I am not familiar with music theory yet, so I have a question: Why did you pick the particular piece that you did? (Bach's Toccata and Fugue
    in D minor). Would the C be heavily used in that piece? That must shake the entire city of Sydney....
    :eek:

10. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I dunno about low C in that piece. I DO know it's a heavy piece
    of music. Nowadays relegated to cheesy monster flicks.

Maybe it's an old wive's tale, but the story goes that when
    Bach premiered the piece in church, it was so "powerful"
    that the congregation went runnin' for the door. They were
    convinced that God himself was gonna' show up any second.

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    It's in D (duh :) ) so often the lowest is the lowest D available - either the one just above C1 or C0. However there's a lot of room for improvisation in it, so no doubt if someone played it there they'd have the opportunity to dip down into the -1 range.

I'm pretty sure however that in Bach's time they only went down to C1. But the piece is just as powerful without the low-low bass. Still, my favorite version is on a large organ (Jean Guillou at St. Eustache, Paris - a C0 I believe).

12. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Ive heard that organ in action and i was very impressive!! I felt like i was gonna throw up!!!

13. I wanna know what herz the "brown note" is... :)

but to the original question: has it occured to you to rtfm (read the frickin' manual) :rolleyes:

14. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    As a college music major who took organ as an elective, the lowest pedal note in Bach's Tocatta and Fugue in d minor is indeed a D. Mendelssohn's Wedding March, however, is in C and does indeed go down to the lowest C on the pedal manual. Pretty heavy stuff when using a "huge" registration, i.e. pulling out "all of the stops".

I've played on some pipe organs with 32' reed stops in the pedal and it's quite a rush! Can't imagine what that 64' would sound like(if you could hear it at all)!

15. Are there any pickup limitations when using a low F#? Does anyone know what EMG's are good down to?

16. jvasquez18

jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13

was that a question? well whatever. it doesn't say in the manual. the manual just intructs on how to install the battery.