1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How much initial setup does a Warmoth bass require?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by finetuned, Jul 20, 2008.

1. finetuned

finetuned

Jul 18, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Hi there,

First post.

I've been playing a Yamaha BBN4-III bass guitar for quite some time, after having played guitar for years. Now both my playing skills and our band is getting more and more serious, I'm thinking about purchasing a new 'real' bass guitar.

Went to a few guitar stores, played some basses (mostly Fender Jazz), found out what I liked and didn't like. I'm going for either a Fender Jazz deluxe (4 string), or build a Warmoth one myself.

The Warmoth bass will be just a touch more expensive, but I can pick my own finish and details which is great.

My question is: how much setup does a Warmoth bass require after you put it together? For example, do I really need to get the nut custom slotted and the frets redressed, as the Warmoth website implies? I'm not really comfortable doing that kind of work myself, and taking it to a guitar store to have it setup for me just feels weird...?

Thanks for reading my post and maybe taking your time to write a reply that can help me out.

Thanks!

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    it all depends on your set-up preferences.

I know several people who are playing Warmoth builds where the nut and frets were never touched. they don't play with sadistically low action, so there was no issue with the out of the box work Warmoth completed

I know of others who have such low action requirements that very few hack shops (Guitar Sinner, etc ...) are able to produce a satisfactory set-up for them.

YMMV depending on your preferences

all the best,

R

3. Mine was playable as soon as I put it together. The frets were a bit sharp at the edges but nothing major.

The main reason that I had the frets done was that I had fitted a Warwick JAN III and put it slightly in the wrong place so had to have it moved and thought i may as well get the frets done at the same time.

I think that the only reason that you would have to get the frets done was if you had a maple fretboard done as they spray the finish right over the top of the frets.

4. idler

idler

Oct 12, 2007
    I had mine professionally set up when I'd put it all together - he cut the nut, set up the relief & intonation etc. I said to do what was needed in terms of dressing the frets, and he said they were just fine as they were.

Very low action, too. Mine's a wenge neck with ebony fretboard though, so no finish to get in the way.

They'll make you some nice stuff, Warmoth will. I'm already vaguely working out my 2nd....

5. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    I have never seen a guitar or bass that doesn't require a setup every 6 months minimum

6. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    do you mean an adjustment every 6 months? because a setup every 6 months is certainly not required

7. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I have two necks and had them install the nuts. They play very well with no additional fretwork.

JR

8. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Ever 6 months the setup should be checked and corrected to allow for the small adjustments in the wood over time.

This also allows for maintenance such as conditioning the fret board and deep polishing. Its like owning a car, a little regular work and tuning keeps it in top shape.

9. finetuned

finetuned

Jul 18, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Thanks for all your replies :)

I'm aware that the setup should be adjusted every once in a while, which I can do myself perfectly well.

Looks like I should just put it together, check it out and do the standard adjusting, and if it feels like it requires a full setup, I can take it to my very friendly local guitar store that also have a well respected repairs dept. I guess they get more people bringing in guitars for a setup that aren't bought there anyway.

So again, thanks for the insight :)

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021