Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much is a Fender Standard P-Bass (MIM) in Canadian.. !!?!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Punk_Princess19, Sep 14, 2001.

1. ummm yes.. and if u dont know it in Canadian.. jus tell me that what ur saying is in american and ill change it to canadian.. (so i can understand) :) i hope u understood that cuz it dosnt make very good sense.! :confused:

2. I purchased one at Tom Lee Music (B.C.) for $420 late last year.

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    In American, they run about $350, or so...

I don't know how much that is in Canadian $.

I'd also consider looking at MIM Jazz basses.

When you single the bridge pickup out, they get a very articulate sound, which works great for punk.

Punk bassists that use Fender Jazz basses:
    Matt Freeman (Rancid, Operation Ivy)
    Also, I don't recall the guy's name... but the guy in AFI.

There's many others, but I think if you've ever heard any of Matt Freeman's recordings, you'll instantly fall in love with his tone... :)

I think an MIM Jazz might be on it's way soon enough, either that or a Precision...

I'm not quite sure which one I'd like more, Precision with a preamp, or a passive Jazz. hmm... decisions, decisions...

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Lessee...US$350, that would be...umm...$29,673,008.01 Canadian Pesos.

Will that be cash, cheque or charge?

;)

Seriously, CN$420 would seem to be a great deal, given the current exchange rate.

5. :eek: What was I thinking? :confused:

The bass I bought for $420 was actually a MIM Jazz, not a P. Sorry.

6. :eek: Waoh i was thinking the same thing as Xavier, that price is the list price for a jazz

7. Great minds think alike! :rolleyes:

8. exactly

9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I still suggest looking into MIM Jazz basses...

With the extra pickup, they're more vesatile.

Check both out... Actually, this is your first bass, isn't it?

If it is, have someone you know who plays bass or guitar go and play both for you... Make sure you try all etremes on both basses...

(Tone all the way on, tone all the way off... and for the jazz: Bridge pickup soloed, neck pickup soloed.)

I think you'll take quite a liking to the Jazz...

I think a good sound for what you want with the Jazz would be tone cut back a hair, with your neck pup on 1/4 the way... and the bridge pup all the way on. :)

10. Of course, the type of amp (among other things) your using has a lot to do with the sound you get. A setting that works on one amp does not necessarily work on all.

(my 2-cents worth - and that's Canadian cents :rolleyes: )

11. Now this could just be a rumor, but I heard it from one of my friends who deals Fenders. He said that due to the low Cdn. Dollar (relative to the U.S), Fender was offering their gear in Cdn. $ at the U.S. retail price. I don't know if their still doing that or if they ever did, but I know I got a great deal on my Fender MIM fretless. I know it's also based upon what dealer you go to and what profit they take off of it, but I thought that this was a great marketing move for Fender, expecially since the only thing which basically separates our countries is a little border and some different looking money. I know it helped me choose Fender over another brand.