Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much is a Mesa 400 + brand new?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I guess you can't buy Mesa/Boogie on MF, etc. What does a brand new Mesa 400 + cost?

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I believe that current list price for a 400+ is $1599.00

If you really want one, you should do what most of us do...buy them used. They go for 7-900 on the used market and usually with a rack.

3. You can't put a price on tubey-goodness!! Oh, wait....yes you can. :)

+1 on buying used.

4. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yea - I would definitely buy used - I just wanted to get a feel for how much a used one is worth. Obviously I'd like to find one that doesn't need work. Since they've been around for so long, "used" is a bit tricky. I just have to check this amp out - the reviews are great, and I think Mesa builds very high quality gear. I'm always a little leary when I read something like "don't expect this to sound good out of the box - you have to tweak..blah blah." I hope it's not that difficult, but Mesa *is* known for having knobs that do one thing from 1-3, then turn into something else at 4-7, then..you know.

Skel

5. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

The 400+ isn't that hard to get a hang of, but you will spend some time making small adjustments for a while. Keep in mind that you can turn the graphic off, then you've got 3 tone knobs, and I'm not sure they're any more 'interactive' than any other tone stack. In fact, the tone compliment is the SAME as the ol' Fender bassman tone section, just with a big, fat, power section. Two of the knobs do have a pull feature which shifts the center that that knob effects (ie, the treble pull moves the effected band down to mid/high). Sometime people have a problem because flat on the amp isn't set at all 5's. The 400+ can be pretty plug and play, or you can tweak all you want.

The have been making them since 1982, but the designs haven't changes much in the past 20+ years. The earliest ones have a 6 band eq like the 400, and the rest have a 7-band. The rest is pretty much all the same, and I've never heard smack about any era or year being better or worse. They come up for sale fairly often as there have been a lot of them over the years, and sometimes people don't ever get the hang of the tone compliment and pass em on (Mesa hasn't been good about advertising how the main tone controls work). Its a work horse amp, and is solidly built, so I wouldn't worry too much about having an older one. I also would think that you'd do ok with the 7-900 range to get one that wasn't a fixer upper.

6. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Excellent info - thanks, BurningSkies. What *is* flat on the Fender/Mesa tone stack? I read it in another thread, but now that I'm serious - is it something like bass 2, treble 2, and mid 10?

Skel

7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Its right in there...either 2-10-2 or possibly 0-10-0. I tend to use the first when playing rock type stuff, and for my regular gig (reggae band) I run it 7-4-0 and roll of the treble from the graphic.

8. svtb15

svtb15 Commercial User

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    HOw do the Mesa 400+ compare to an SVT head?

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    It can be dialed fairly SVT like, but its generally more hi-fi than an SVT and a lot more versitle. It doesn't get quite as much growl and grit as the SVT. And I mean a real SVT, not a CL.

10. I think it gets grittier than an SVT:

Paul D'Amour gritty.

SVT's have the low-mid "farty" sound when cranked...in a good way, of course!

Mesa Tube amps have more of a hi-fi grit... it sounds more "toothy", whereas SVT's break up less harshly.... but I find that harshness awesome.

11. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Wow you guys are lucky to get em at that price

...............Really lucky

Im pretty sure they go for around €2600 new here more or less and as for the used market..... well what used market???(unless you like behringer, laney and peavey of course)

:bawl:

12. ebay!

And nothing wrong with peavey ;)

Keep an eye out, you sometimes get absolute gems (got my SVT-II for £500 :) )

13. Or a V4 for £600 :crying:
    V6 for £450 :crying:

14. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Apples and oranges in my book.

The SVT tends to have a pronounced midrange, and the 400+ has a much less emphasized mid, and is sometimes called 'scooped mid'. The SVT is easy to push into an overdrive tone, while many have complained that the 400+ is too hard to get any crunch out of. I personally like it because it is clean and detailed sounding. I agree with others that its closer to hi-fi than a SVT.

15. svtb15

svtb15 Commercial User

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    thank you.. that sums it up very well.. thanks

16. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Me <3 mesa

17. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    My Bass 400 is the best piece of gear I've ever owned, I'm glad I picked it up back in 1991 when I did. Not only does it have 'the killer' sound, but let me tell you, it gets used alot and has seen it's share of abuse...constant touring, it has fallen out of a truck, been knocked over, and I have even (gulp) once thrown it off a 4.5 ft high stage and it still looks as good and works as the day I bought it. For a while I also had an old Mesa D-180 as a backup which sounds the same, but dummy me went and let it go, so I'm keeping an eye out for a newer Bass 400+ as I might retire mine in 2008 when it turns 20yrs old.

Sometime last year I was in GC and they had a brand new Bass 400+ floor model on clearance for $895. Dummy me can't think right now why I didn't buy it.

18. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I *will* say I would have taken them up on that deal. I can't find a used one on eBay for that price.

Skel

19. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Watch for a while - I got a 400+ in a rack recently, with the amp coming out to about $750 when you consider the price of the rack . . .

- Tim

20. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    My 400 turns 20 in June, and there's no way I'm retiring it. I had a '95 400+ for a few years, then sold it 6 months after I quit my band. I've had tons of great gear, but that night was the only night I've ever lost sleep over selling any of it! Sure enough, I was back in the band by 2002, and was incredibly lucky to find a 400 on ebay with a BIN of $450. I couldn't believe it, instead of just buying it, people were bidding under the BIN, like $450 was too much to pay! Anyway, I bought it for $450.