Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much is a Used SWR Studio 220 worth?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XPshychoticXPyr, May 17, 2004.

1. How much is a Used good condition SWR Studio 220 worth is yalls opinion.

-Vince

2. Well acouple ofyears ago I sold a beater ST220 for around $250. But nowadays for an older, lower power head I'd say don't pay over $1.00 per watt even in excellent condition. The preamp in it is very nice though, I even liked it for running an acoustic guitar.

3. The store Ed Romans Guitar Emporium has one for 399$ but i know that too much...i am looking tomaybe trade them my ampeg Porta Bass amp which is newer and worth more at this time. But the thing is i dont know if they will go down from 399 they are kind of intimidating people especially Ed himself. Ive seen on ebay and various price pages they go for 250-300 how do i get the store to see that and sell or trade to me at those price?

-Vince

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'd say $400 is too much money. You can find used SM-400 heads for $400...same preamp, two power amps for double the power. In fact there is one posted on bassgear.com right now.

I'd say $250 is fair for an ST-220 but I know most folks ask more.

5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    For $400 I would go with a SWR SM400S as well. It's the same preamp with double the power.

I bought and sold my SWR Studio 220 for $250. You can find em on Ebay for around $225-$300. $250 seems like a fair price to me.

BTW, both amps have KILLER preamps.

6. Well, lotsa variables. What kind of condition the amp is in, will the store (or individual) guarantee it to be fully funtional, how much will you use a 220 watt amp, etc. $300 is not a bad price if some of those variables are met.

As far as getting those folks to come down in price, here's what I do. I hate dickering, so I figure out what I'm willing to pay (tempered by what things are going for on EBAY), then lay the cash down. If they still want to BS around, I pick up the money and walk out. Most of the time they chase me out into the street agreeing to the offer, sometimes they don't. Works for me.

7. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Yup, most salesmen won't work with you unless you're serious about buying. Nothing says serious more than cash on hand, ready to buy.

8. Thanks for all the replies but im not doing this for cash atleast not at the moment im going in with a mint Ampeg PB250 to trade which is worth more in ebay resale value now i believe that the SWR is. What to do in this situation?

-Vince

P.S.

One of the graphic eq sliders is mising its dusty (obviously been sitting a while in store or somewhere) you can tell its been used but not abused in any way visually i havent plugged it in yet because they are iffy about letting people play things who dont wanna buy.

9. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I just bought one in pretty much mint condition for $250, it really was flawless. I see them go for a little higher on ebay depending on condition.

Its definitely been worth the money, to me...hi-fi, open tone and plenty of power for small-medium jazz gigs, and light weight to boot.

However, I agree that if you are going to rock out, save your money and pick up an SM-400 for a little more $$$. I'm going to run mine in conjunction with a stereo power amp, so it's not a big deal that my 220 is underpowered for some applications.

Will

10. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    How do they expect you to know whether or not you're gonna buy it if you don't try it out first. Sheesh..

Anyway, Rick Blanc is selling a SWR SM400S in the classifieds section for $400 OBO. Might be your best bet to just sell the Portabass on Ebay or something like that, and buy a SWR SM400S used. You'll get more power, and the same awesome preamp. Plus you'll get more $$ out of selling your amp, than if you traded it in.

11. Rick B i guess its in the classifieds...ya im gonna ebay it he would give me 300$ for it but wanted 499 for the SWR and wouldnt budge much...not going to pay that much...ill give rick a pm thanks guys.

-Vince