How much is enough

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by morkinator77, Sep 10, 2004.

1. morkinator77

Sep 10, 2004
    I am helping out the bass player in my band pick out a rig. The thing is, how big an amp/cab or combo do I need. We play small and medium sized venues, medium-loud rock tunes. What kind (size) of setup would you recommend? Oh, did I mention it has to cost less than $800 ;) (keeping used gear in mind)
  2. StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    Go for used. To be frank, I've gone through 3 amps before the one I have. All Ampeg at that. I think Ampeg is highly underpowered these days, to say the least. 100 watts all tube was not enough, even though I know older ones that were like that were plenty.
    You'll need at least 400 solid state watts, which leaves you little headroom, however. I put my credit card on bust to get an Eden WT-800 head and D-410XLT cab to go head to head with a DAMN loud drummer and a guitarist with a JCM 800 2204 w/ 4x12 1960 cab. I keep the head at about 4/10 and it's plenty loud with that cabinet. That is with everything set flat minus the bass at 1 o'clock and mid at 2 o'clock.
    So I think you should definately look for something used and work with that, depending on your bandmates and their gear and aggressiveness when playing.
    It's really hard to tell, but I'll just say 100 watts all tube was not enough for a bar show without distortion on stage. The reason I compare to this is because it was the loudest amp I've had before what I have now. I found that the Sansamp pedals increase volume a bit without totally distorting it though. Kinda improving the tone too. Just something to consider.
  3. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    $800.00 will get alot of bass used if you shop responsibly. Try Ebay. I purchased most of my current gear on Ebay and have not been burned yet. If brand is not an issue you can find alot of Peavey power for little cash. If you were to allocate half the cash for each you could get a decent head for that, Ampeg, Peavey, Behringer (new), and more...Then for a great custom cab shop websites at Avatar and Dr. Bass. Great quality cabs for under 400.00. 350 watts or more with a 2x12 or 4x10 cab would get you there. Good luck.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    My latest rig consists of a nice used Hartke HA-5000 amp running an Avatar B210 and a Bartoogie 1x15 (EV TL606 with an EVM 15). All together I have a lot less than $800 in it ($600 ish the Avatar was new when I got it) and it's all the amp that I think I'll really ever need.

$800 will go a long, long way these days with good used gear!!!
  5. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Will the Bass Player have PA support (meaning with Subs) in the medium sized venues?

How loud is the drummer?

How many other instruments in the band?
    Are the guitars in standard tuning or tuned down lower than E?
    What type of setup does the guitarist (or guitarists) have?

If the Bass will have PA support with Subs then the bass player can get away with a combo to use for a stage monitor as long as the band is not too loud (but no Subs = no Bass support).

If the drummer has a loud kit and/or plays loud, then the bass player may need a larger rig to hear on stage.

If the guitars are tuned down then the frequencies may be in the same frequency zone that a bass combo is in - a larger rig may be necessary for the bass player.

If there is a guitarist with 100 watt Tube head and a 4x12 cab, then the Bass rig will probably need 4x this power and most likely more speaker surface area (as lower frequecies tend to require more power and speaker area).
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd look real hard at a used Eden Metro or an SWR Super Redhead in that price range.
  7. If I was going to start with a fresh rig this is the way I would go for durability, power, versatility, and expandability reasons.

These prices are approximate new prices.

Sansamp RBI preamp, $300, versatile, great tone for price.
    QSC RMX 850 power amp, $300, 830 watts @4 ohms bridge mono.
    Avatar b212 (2x12 cab), $360 shipped, very powerful, great power handling, sounds awesome. I own one and I'm keeping it!

If you can pick up any 2 of these used you will be ready for any style or sized gig.