Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much is my bass worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman1185, Feb 11, 2005.

1. It's a mid-70's Fender P-bass, black with rosewood fretboard. The problem is that the neck is a replacement, so it's not 100% vintage. I have a feeling that the ashtrays were not included originally. It has an ash body, and the paint is in pretty good condition, except for a few spots, but that's to be expected in a 30 year old bass. It sounds great, by far the best sounding P-bass I've ever heard.

2. And here's a shot of the worst looking place on the bass. It looks like whoever put the ashtrays on screwed up the first set of holes and drilled another. I do have the bridge ashtray, but it makes changing strings a pain in the butt, so i leave it off.

3. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Emmm...

Bout five bucks...

But since were both TB guys and all, I'll give ya Seven for it. :bag:

4. Willy Franklin

Willy Franklin Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'd do a "completed items" search on your favorite online auction site... (not to mention any names...)

Peace!

Willy

5. OK, I'll take a look, but I have to think that it's going to be difficult to find a similar bass.

6. It looked like most of the P-basses in this age range were going for $1000-$1800, but they were all in good shape. Does $550 (with HSC) sound reasonable?

7. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Who made the replacement neck? Is it one of the Fender ones?

If so $550 is very reasonable.

8. I believe that the neck is genuine Fender. There is a Fender decal on the neck, and it looks like there wasn't anything else there before. It doesn't have the rosewood skunk stripe on the back, though.

9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    The decal itself means nothing really. I'd have to see a pic or two of the neck heel.

You'd have to remove the neck and take pics of the butt and heel of the neck to be sure.

10. Shoot. I might see about doing that this week some time.

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Like I said before...it's not out of line to ask $550 for it if indeed it is a Fender neck, in fact it could fetch more if you can document the parts.

You're going to have to do this plus date the pots anyway if you're going to attempt to sell it as anything other than a parts bass.

Comes with the turf...until I know exactly what you have there it's impossible to put a value on it.

12. snake

snake

Jul 21, 2004
    Aurora. CO
    I think this is about the time that CBS was making Fender guitars and basses so it wouldn't be worth as much as a pre-CBS bass.

13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Dude is right on, about $500.00-$600.00.

14. I'm curious as to what you mean by document the parts.

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Pot code dates, neck stamps etc....

16. OK, I'll see what I can get.

17. OK, I just ripped the neck off and looked under the pickguard, and here's what I found:

I don't think that the bass is pre-CBS. There is a hole about the size of a quarter between the neck and the pickup rout. If I remember right, that means it's made later.

The pots had the following codes on them: 013446 250K A 9901. One had part of the first six digits soldered over, but the last four are 9835.

I did not find any stamps on the neck or neck heel. I don't know if this is good or bad Here are pics:

18. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    There was never any question that it was a Pre-CBS since you thought it was an early 70's. CBS bought Fender in Jan. of 1965.

The large CNC router hole under the pickguard would make the body to be at least a 1980 or newer.

The lack of any stamps or markings on the heel or the butt of the neck tells me that it is not a Fender neck regardless of the decal.

19. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    The pots are circa 1998 and 1999.

I don't see anything on this bass that would indicate to me that this is a "70's" Fender and in fact, the neck is not Fender at all.

20. Crap. This isn't sounding good. Any idea how much it's worth?