Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much is this bass worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matthew West, Jun 13, 2002.

1. I found a guy selling this bass. It's a Squier Pro Tone Precision Bass Special. From everything I've been able to find online, these were made in the mid-90's in Korea. Supposedly the construction and sound rivals American made Fender basses of the same period, and they were discontinued because they were hurting MIM sales. I know it's a Squier, but all indications point towards a high quality product.

Is anyone familiar with these basses? What would be a fair price for this? A SKB hardshell case is included.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I played the blue Strat and the Thinline Tele of this series both very good. The quality is comparable to a MIM but the name on the headstock. Try offering just over what Squier Standards go for secondhand in your neck of the world.

EDIT is this a possible replacement for the Sterling?

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I'd offer $100 bucks without seeing it if I were interested in one.
    Depending how it sounds and the condition, I might go $175, maybe.

I tend to avoid low end basses. I personally have squandered enough on these and lost the resale value of about 1 Fodera.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    They were only going for about $4-500 when brand new, so it's really only worth about $250. $200 or less would be a good deal.

5. The guy is asking $300 shipped. I think that's a bit high, and I really don't need another bass.

I was thinking of offering him $250. The case alone is probably worth at least $50. Or should I try for lower?