How much is this bass worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matthew West, Jun 13, 2002.

1. I found a guy selling this bass. It's a Squier Pro Tone Precision Bass Special. From everything I've been able to find online, these were made in the mid-90's in Korea. Supposedly the construction and sound rivals American made Fender basses of the same period, and they were discontinued because they were hurting MIM sales. I know it's a Squier, but all indications point towards a high quality product.

Is anyone familiar with these basses? What would be a fair price for this? A SKB hardshell case is included.

2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I played the blue Strat and the Thinline Tele of this series both very good. The quality is comparable to a MIM but the name on the headstock. Try offering just over what Squier Standards go for secondhand in your neck of the world.

EDIT is this a possible replacement for the Sterling?
  3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I'd offer $100 bucks without seeing it if I were interested in one.
    Depending how it sounds and the condition, I might go $175, maybe.

I tend to avoid low end basses. I personally have squandered enough on these and lost the resale value of about 1 Fodera.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    They were only going for about $4-500 when brand new, so it's really only worth about $250. $200 or less would be a good deal.
  5. The guy is asking $300 shipped. I think that's a bit high, and I really don't need another bass.

I was thinking of offering him $250. The case alone is probably worth at least $50. Or should I try for lower?