Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much juice does an ACME 4x10 really need?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mad Subwoofer, Jan 9, 2003.

1. I am thinking of adding an ACME 4x10 for sub support to my rig. I recently scored a QSC PLX 3002 (900w's a side) and am wondering if it is enough juice to really push this thing? I know that bridging it is always an option but my question here is to know if I'd be happy with 900w's so I could run a different cab on each channel.
    Thanks..........

[​IMG]

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
  3. pookeymp

pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    NY/NJ
    I'm using an Eden WT-1000 bridged into my 4-ohm Acme B4 (1000 watts). I play with a lot of moderate-volume funk/jazz bands, and this works well. But, when I've found myself with louder bands, I could definitely use a bit more power (the cab can certainly handle more than my Eden can give it).

So with that, in a loud situation, you may be a little power-shy with 900 Watts into the Acme. But on the other hand, if you're using the Acme for low-end along with another more efficient cab, then it may be ok because the other cab can cut through while the Acme will certainly provide you with good bottom end.

Mikey/

4. Makes sense, thanks guys.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I used a 4 ohm B2 and an EVM 15 (8 ohm) with my PLX2402. The amp was clipping on the Acme channel and running much happier on the EVM channel (the 2402 is 725 watts into 4 ohms). The Acme just couldn't get loud enough.

As a subwoofer I'd recommend that you get some beefy 15s and go the Bruce Gavin route...

6. MSW, contact Andy Lewis at Acme before making a purchase. I'm pretty sure he will be dead set against using the Acme for subs or DBX synth. They aren't designed for that.

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Isn't that what the B-2W and B-4W models were designed for?

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Of course, given the 3 dB difference in efficiency between the B-2 and the B-4, 725 W into a B-2 is gonna be roughly equivalent to 1450 W into a B-4.

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    It all depends on how loud you need to play. What kind of music? DO you regularly get PA support?

10. You're right about that BG. Any commercially available sub I could consider? Your Rockfords are home made, correct?
    I play dub. I use the 30Hz filter on my PLX 3002 to protect my cabs, wouldn't that protect the ACME's? I am fairly satisfied about the inappropriateness of the ACME's for subs, thanks guys.

11. Contact Andy.

He is a standup guy and can tell you exactly if his cabs will do the job for Dub. As for the W models, I understand they are the standard B series, but without the mid range and tweeters. This tells me the bass drivers are the same. If the B4 isn't suitable as a true sub, then neither is the BW series.

The PLX low filter will go a long ways toward protecting your rig. Maybe Bob Lee (QSC) will chime in, and tell us all where the rolloff begins, and the curve shape, etc.

The DBX sub-synth goes down to 26 Hz, so I'd think the 30 Hz PLX filter won't affect the higher synth tones. Play at low volumes and cut the filter in and out to see what effect it has. IMO, the Acme will have the best dub production, but probably not at the volume levels you require. 10" drivers just don't move very much air volume.

The Adire Maelstrom 18" driver is the ticket for dub. It is tuned at 20 Hz, in 5.5 cubic feet, and produces nearly the same SPL as a B4. It also produces botom in spades all the way down to low F#. This size cabinet is manageable, and the driver itself is a premium grade piece of engineering.

12. 1000 watts should be about right. According to their lit. the B2 starts to work with 350 and is ideal at 500. So I'm assuming a B4 is kinda like 2 B-2's so 1000 watts should be ideal.

13. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    See the PLX user's manual, downloadable here.

The graph suggests the 30 Hz filter starts to roll off about 60 Hz, and reaches -3 dB at 30 Hz. It's 12 dB/octave below that.

14. Woah...good tip. Affordable driver and great specs. Is that really less than 4ohms BG? That would be a great pairing with my PLX3002. I suppose I would have to assemble my own cab for that. Thanks.