1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How much life out of a "glowing" tube? Boogie matched

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by albass111, Apr 27, 2006.

1. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, I opened up my 400+, tightened all of the tubes, and ran it for a while. There was one tube that seemed to light up much brighter. Is this something that I need to replace immediately? The amp did a three hour gig with no problem at a pretty moderate volume. (preamp 6 and master around 6)
    Also, I have the boogie 430 tubes installed and these have less than 40 hours on them. Boogie no longer makes them. Can I replace the bad tube and its correspondant tube with a matched 6l6 pair?

2. Depends on which part of the tube is 'lighting up'.

If it's the big metal pieces, then that's bad. The tube is redplating and that needs to be looked into. Don't play the amp.

If it's the little filaments that can be seen at the top and bottom of the tube, and inside the big metal pieces. Then you don't have anything to worry about.

-Nick

3. A tube's "glow" has next to nothing to do with its health or output. All you are seeing is a variation in the amount of visible heater filament. As the previous posts says, if the plates, the large gray structures inside, glow, that's bad, but if you're just talking about how much it 'lights up," you have nothing to worry about.

BTW, Mesa has NEVER made tubes.