How much low end will I lose?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthias, Jan 5, 2001.

1. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Right now I use an Ampeg SVR 215 cab, powered by a decent 400W head. This rig literally shakes the ground and I love it when I can feel the earth move under my feet...

However it is a bit heavy to lug around and I also think I can improve overall sound by using a 212 cab, but I'm afraid I might lose too much low end - what do you guys think about it?

I promise that this is my last thread on 212 cabs :D

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Matthias- In my experience, 12's are real compromising speakers when it comes to bass reproduction. They simply don't get enough of the lows that 15's give you and they don't get enough of the punch that 10's give you. They get some of the character of both but get neither very well. That's why you don't see 12's occupying the same cabs as 15's or 10's.

If you compare the bass and guitar cabs in about any dealer catalog I've seen, you'll notice that 15's in bass cabs tend to be as prevalent as 12's in guitar cabs. What does that tell you?
  3. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I gotta go along with Rick on this one. I have 2 eden 410's, for practacing alone when the quality of the sound isnt the mose important issue, the 10's are fine. But when i practice with the full band, IMO i have to throw the 18's in there to get that goog groumd shakin bottom.

Good Luck
  4. basspla915

Mar 28, 2000
    Bangor, Maine
    Hey Matthias,

One of my rigs is an Aguilar DB728 amp, Aguilar DB680 preamp pushing two cabs; Aguilar 2x10 and Eden 2x12XLT cabs. I used to believe, as other posters have mentionned, that the 12s couldnt do what the 10s and 15s could....Well, let me testify!! The Eden 2x12XLT cab gives all the punch, thump and clarity of both the 10s and 15s combined!

5. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Check out the Ashdown rig John Entwwistle uses, 12's and 15's. If I'm not mistaken his previous Trace Elliot rig was of the same comfiguration.

I think the quality of the suspension and the motors of todays larger drivers has far surpassed their reputation for being slow and unresponsive. On the other hand, trying to drive larger 8 ohm drivers with a 300 watt@4ohm amplifire is a bit wishfull.
  6. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Thanks for your input, please keep it coming.

Mike: 2 Eden 410's for practicing? WOW!
    Vic: The 212's I'm thinking of are available with 4Ohms too (and due to special circuitry wich they call 'Dynaclip' my 400W H&K can put out up to 500W - at least that's what they say ;))
    My second 'rig' is a Gallien Krueger MB150 with a homemade :)() extension cab, that's a total of 150W into two 112 speakers, well and that ain't too bad for most of my rehearsals and gigs, though the 'floor-shaking factor' is considerably lower than with my main rig.
    When I imagine more than twice (or even 3 times) the power into a WELL designed 212, I tend to believe basspla915...

Of cause one 212 will never keep up with a 118 & 410 full stack, but I don't need that anyway.