How much music should a person know before one accepts their criticism?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, May 18, 2001.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Ok, here's the scenario:

I have a gig coming up on the 25th. (LaPena Cultural Center in Berkeley@ 10 PM, if anyone's interested). I'm basically accompanying another guy who wrote most of the songs we're playing. I contributed two songs which I think are pretty good, but that's enough about me. we're a four piece group with a couple of sit-ins.

Anyway, Two rehearsals ago, The other guy's cousin (who was introduced to me as a bass player) showed up and hung around our rehearsal. When the songwriter asked him what he thought, he'd always start his sentences with "The bass" this and "The bass" that. Well, today, I have been asked to let this guy play my bass on a song that was brought in by another family member. No prob. I give the guy my 5 string and he, well, I don't wanna say he was bad, I just don't think playing a three-chord song is as hard as he made it look, even for a guy who never played a 5 before. I mean, he thought the B was the E string (and it didn't sound that much better after I enlightened him).

How much credit do you give to people who have "opinions" about your playing? Is the bassist more likely to be picked on because it's a more subjective instrument? How many times does this happen to you? How do you thwart these people?

I'm ok. Really.

Will C.:cool:
  2. Let it roll Will. As far as people having opinions about my playing I could care less. I play the way I play closed case. The bass is alway considered the easy part to play, all of us know that is wrong. Like I said in another thread "If the bass player knows the changes, and can lock with the drummer, the guitar almost can do anything" (wow thats pretty cool quoting yourself:D) The way I read your question is this guy comes along and says what the bass should be doing but yet when giving an extra string probally couldn't play Louie Louie.

If someone give you "opinion" look at were it is coming from, otherwise just smile a lot. :)

Bass Players are the Kings
  3. Tchau Rapaz,
    I am just getting interested in the bass, but I have 47 yrs on guitar and a few on dobro and lap steel. This person sounds typically sophomoric. I would much rather take the criticism of someone with -0- musical knowledge, than someone with a little. I suspect your critic has already demonstrated his competence to everyone within earshot. As gruffpuppy said, Smile and let it pass.
  4. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    If he was introduced to you as a bass player, maybe he was just sticking to his area of "expertise."

But I always worry more about guys who are gracious and complimentary. They're usually the ones who aren't threatened, because they know they can blow you away.
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Thanks, guys. Keep 'em coming!

One more thing: It was amazing how many licks he had when he was playing on his own. When the time came to play the actual song, he was all thumbs.

Actually, make that toes. :D

Will C.:cool:
  6. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    LOL yeah thats true.

7. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    three weeks ago I went with three friends to record a song for a radio contest. the studio owner and the soundtech were experienced musicians, and seeing we were young people first venturing into a recording session, they didn't treat us seriously. paying full money I was expecting them to act more proffesional, and show more respect to the people who were providing them with income (even though we weren't as expirienced or old as they were).
    next time we hit the studio, we are going to somewhere we wont get sarcastic smiles for asking questions about the recording process, the equipment, mixing etc.
  8. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I always listen to all criticism and opinions on my playing, no matter how experienced the other part is. If I disagree, I at least give it a thought, but if I think it's BS, I just ignore it.
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sounds good, O-man. I'm always gracious with compliments or criticism. Some people feel the need to tell me how ugly my green Zon is. I thank them. I've gotten compliments when I feel I have done absolutely nothing. I thank them, too. I get people who feel the need to tell me how great some other bass player is... I really enjoy that;)

As far as talking about other stuff goes if I feel I'm not going to offend the person I'm talking with I'll give an honest assessment of whatever we're talking about. I don't criticize other players' playing. Unlike a lot of people I find very few musical things that actually suck, to me.

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    usually, if it happens after a gig and we're packing up, i offer to let the critic try out my instruments. most of the time they are eager to try them out and so they leave me alone while i pack other stuff up, and if they are scared or unwilling to, they usually go away quickly. either way, they shut up. :D
  11. Those who can't do ... teach.
    Those who can't teach ... teach gym.
    Those who can't teach gym ... become music critics.

- Dave
  12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars TRULY funny. :D

And most likely, probably true too!!!! ;)
  13. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Couple of things, perhaps the fellow wasn't at all familiar with a five and not a quick adjuster, a skill that is perhaps honed when you own and play multiple basses and know your way around the instrument ;). Additionally, he's probably not the kind of player that can jump right into a situation and deliver the "right stuff" to a song even if it just means playing the roots, you know, that "feeling" thing. It seems this guy wasn't quite up to your level of "all around" playing, i.e. two scoops worth of licks on the cone alone and all gone when it comes time to hit the song. :D In short, he "played his self"! :D
  14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...some other guys who got/get constantly dissed by the press/critics/fans-
    1)Charlie Parker
    2)John Coltrane
    3)Cecil Taylor
    4)Charles Ives
    (Really, it's an endless list) ;)

Here's an excerpt from a book I'm reading(In A Silent Way: A Portrait Of Joe Zawinul)...the situation? Jaco is recording with Weather Report for the 1st time(the tune is "Cannonball")-
    Narada Michael Walden sez:
    "Jaco was trying to impress Joe in the rehearsal of the song. He learned the song so quickly, & he was adding all these things, & then Joe stopped right in the middle & said, 'Don't play all that s*** on my song'. Jaco had no sooner plugged in, learned the song, & half an hour later Joe was in his ass. And I don't mean easy, I mean, 'Don't play that f***ing s*** on my song'"!

Rest assured, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over what somebody thinks of my playin'...

For your reading pleasure, here's just a few things I've heard(none made by anyone I respect, either)- ;)
    1)Keller can't groove
    2)Keller can't jam
    3)Keller won't learn the song 'just like the record'
    4)Keller is too far 'out'
    5)Keller is a good Pop(music)bassist(too far 'in'?) ;)

Face it, everyone's got an opinion!