1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How much of a loss are we talking about here? Jazz mod. Lollar/BS-DS question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RiZzBot, Jan 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. RiZzBot

RiZzBot Drunk + bass + broken strap locks = :'(

Nov 23, 2014
    210, Texas
    I was thinking of installing a Curtis Novak Darkstar pickup to the bridge position of my jazz bass. As far as the resale value of the bass, how much of a hit would I take? The bass in question, is a 2016 American Standard Jazz. It is currently rocking Lollars in the neck and bridge positions. A buddy of mine installed Curtis Novak BS-DS in both the neck and bridge on his US jazz. I was literally floored with the fierce tone of the BS-DS bridge pup. I'm wondering how it would pair with my Lollar neck pup. I love the solo'd Lollar neck pup sound, and I really dig the solo'd bridge sound of the DS pup. What would they sound like blended together? What do you guys think I should do?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  2. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    That's a tough one. Generally, cutting on a bass devalues it quite a bit BUT to some players, those Novak Darkstars would be considered a pretty serious upgrade.

A thought- if you are really worried about devaluing the bass, you could set the body aside, replace it with a warmoth (they route for Darkstars IIRC) and then, if you decided to sell later, you'd still have the unmolested fender body to put back with it. Of course, this is probably a 400 buck option.

3. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The resale will drop off a cliff but you should do it anyway if you feel that way about the tone of the pickups. The 2016 American Standard isn't an endangered species.

gfen, ICM and MobileHolmes like this.
  4. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I wouldn't worry about devaluing a production Fender bass made in the last 10-20 years. There are lots of them out there, especially in sunburst, black and white. By the time that bass may have vintage, collectable value, we will be darn near or in the grave. Mod it for your wants and needs, enjoy it. If you choose to sell it in the next few years, you may take a small hit, but you may not if you find the right buyer.

5. If you choose to go ahead, make sure that the person doing the work knows how. It's too easy to mess up with a router ending up with a seriously devalued bass.

I do think the work is worth doing as you apparently love the sound.

RiZzBot likes this.
  6. RiZzBot

Nov 23, 2014
    210, Texas
    I do all the work myself. I strongly agree with you. Best to leave all the routing and cutting to the pros. Thanks buddy.

Warhawk likes this.
  7. No worries, friend! I do a little woodworking as a hobby (not on anything valuable LOL) and very well know that feeling when I've gone just a bit too far.

RiZzBot likes this.
  8. RiZzBot

Nov 23, 2014
    210, Texas
    I'v have a tendency of going too far myself. I'v done plenty of mods that involved routing and cutting into guitars and basses. Most of the time they're hits, and on occasion i'll suffer a miss or two. :) Here's of pic of the shop I work out of.
    [​IMG]

Warhawk likes this.
  9. Wow! Beautiful shop! I'm always tripping over stuff in my two-car garage. LOL
    Looks like you've got everything under control but I'll be crossing my fingers for you when that cut is made. ;)

10. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    RiZzbot, this may not be of interest for you but my first bass is a 1998 MIK Squier jazz which will go to my grave with me. It had the typical Jazz bass attributes and sounded great stock. I was lucky enough to find a set of MEC active jazz pick ups with passive VVT controls. Oh man did that bring my bass alive, they widened both ends of the sonic palette with zero hum, not bad for $25 used. So, huge improvements can be had without suffering loss of value.

RiZzBot likes this.
  11. RiZzBot

Nov 23, 2014
    210, Texas
    Sounds awesome friend. The Lollars I have installed on my jazz now arent bad at all. It's just the instant GAS attack I got after trying out the BS-DS, has me scraping together all my resources to buy one.

12. RiZzBot

Nov 23, 2014
    210, Texas
    At this point my main quandary is whether the BS-DS will marry well with my Lollar neck pup. Wish someone on here could help shed some light.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  13. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Any time you can't get it back to factory spec, something that people are familiar with, it will take a serious hit, unless you can find someone who wants the exact mod you have. Look at Carvins - quite good instruments for the money, but since the masses don't recognize it, you take a serious hit on resale. Same with basses like Lull - fantastic instruments, but some people think it's not as good as a Fender, simply because they don't recognize the headstock.

RiZzBot and UNICORN BASS like this.
  14. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Why not get a solid, workable, yet inexpensive Squier (or even just a body) to do a safe "test run" upon? If it works, it works. If not, you can sell the bass/body with a minimal loss of money. Besides, wouldn't the hands-on experience be well worth the minuscule loss?