1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How much of an improvement would a Road Worn jazz be over my '91 MIJ '62?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thibby, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Thibby

Thibby Supporting Member

May 2, 2015
    New Orleans
    Two years ago, I bought a nice '91 MIJ '62 reissue that's been my main player since then. Recently I've encountered some back troubles, and playing hour long gigs with 10lbs isn't working out. In addition, I have a few other small problems with it (sunburst with mismatched grain, bridge cover holes drilled wrong, etc.) and I don't really have any sentimental value to it.

In my quest to alleviate these problems, would a trade-in towards a 60's road worn jazz (or Flea jazz) be worth the price and hassle? Or would I just be better off getting another jazz bass body from Warmoth, USACG, etc? If I did, I'd probably get one done in shoreline gold drool

I'd prefer to stick to Fender and vintage-styled jazz basses, so that narrows down the search quite a bit

2. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    If you are changing for the weight then that is fine, but don't expect that a MIM Fender is going to be an upgrade over the MIJ Fender.

AlexanderB and rojo412 like this.
  3. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Contrary to what some might do, I'd likely take a RW Jazz over a MIJ Jazz any day. I'd look for a lightweight one. For me, I greatly prefer the feel. I gig constantly, so light weight and a nice "broken in", comfortable feel are extremely important.

But that's just me.

4. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Warmoth jazz bass bodies are very nice indeed!

BP2749E. BP2749A.

AModestRat likes this.
  5. MMiller28

MMiller28

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Price range? Sadowsky Satin Series basses have chambered bodies, resulting in a lot of basses that are less than 8#.

6. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    the road worn basses sound and feel great. i don't think the generalisation that an mim fender is inferior to an mij fender is valid. play both and hear and feel the difference for yourself.

besides the weight, the problems you mentioned with your mij are cosmetic and don't affect sound or feel so i don't know if that means a road worn will be better or worse for you because you know how those look...

if you just want a lighter, cleaner looking bass body, then maybe switching the body is a better solution for you.

7. penguineman

penguineman

Feb 11, 2012
    kansas
    Honestly if you are just doing it for looks then I'd find someone to refinish your bass if the don't care about it being original. If your doing it because of weight and back problems I definitely can understand the weight issue do to having back problems and nerve damage in my right leg. Really the choice is yours. Can you go to a local G C and play what you are wanting to trade to and feel the weight difference?? Or the lo Al shop your going to or wanting to trade with?? Will they let you stand there and play a while so you can see how it's going to feel for you?

8. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    I own a MIM Classic 50s P Laquer and 2 MIJ Jazz basses, a Classic Series 70s (75RI) and a Marcus Miller.

The MIJ are a notch above in all aspects. The MIM is no slouch and is my #1 at the moment. I know that doesn't really help, but I do believe a RW Jazz could be an improvement for weight alone.

mdogs likes this.
  9. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I am not pro, i only can spend for nice Squier CV series bass. But , if money not a problem , i MUST get the Flea Jazz.
    Not just the tone so nice, the weight and super comfort neck make it be my dream bass. I have compare with display unit AM Pro J at GC, but the Flea J is better to me.

10. Thibby

Thibby Supporting Member

May 2, 2015
    New Orleans
    The weight is like 85% of the issue, all the other smaller issues can be ignored. The reason I ask about the road worn series is because every player I've heard says they're incredibly light and that nitro finish does attract me. Haven't got the chance to try one out yet though. I'll be on the lookout at the NO GC for a Flea or road worn, but I've actually yet to see one there.

If that falls through, I guess I'll sell off the body and invest in a Warmoth or pick up one from the Stratosphere

However, another question about the pickups: how do the stock pickups in my MIJ jazz compare to the ones in the Flea or RW? It seems that they're American pickups (MIJ run with alder body and American pickups), but I'm not sure how'd they compare to the Flea's or RW.