How Much of This Is Hubris/B.S.???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickbass, Aug 1, 2002.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Looking at the hype for Schack basses, I can't remember seeing a builder lay on so many superlatives so thick.

According to the Schack website;

- they were the first to produce graphite necks; (I thought Alembic had that disntinction???)
    - they introduced the extra-long scale neck (I thought Thompson did that for A. Jackson???)

But I thought the quote below from their hype was a bit much -

I've seen and held at least one instrument made by each of those makers that Schack mentions. Personally, I would "dare." All of them were ungodly great in different ways. But, I've never had the pleasure to see or play a Schack in the flesh.

I imagine they're great instruments. But, are these guys for real or just a legend in their own minds, IYO/IYE???
  2. The only graphite necked basses I've heard played live is a Zon and a Schack. The Zon was played by a solid enough player in a cover band, but I left as soon as I heard "Mustang Sally". And, as that was also the first, and thus only, song I heard, I can't comment on how the bass sounded.
    The Schack I've hears, on the other hand, was played by one of my favourite players and the reason for my picking up the bass - a Swede called Hazze Waseen. And that, my friend, sounded great. But, since I've heard Hazze playing a zillion different basses since, and always hear his tone first and foremost, I can't really draw any conclusions as to, or comment on, how Schack basses sound. I heard someone do something Les Claypool like in a heavy kind of band I once saw, but since I didn't like their music, I left without listening to how the bass sounded at all.
    Schack's graphite necked basses are probably the most visually stunning basses around, though, so there's something right with their bold website claims. All IMO, YMMV et c, of course, but I've never seen a nicer looking headless bass.
  3. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Youve gotta have some big nuts to be saying "We have the best active 4,5, and 6 string basses in the world!"

I personally do not find them that visually appealing. I however have never had the chance to play one.
  4. Take a look in the BGRA...Schack has pissed some people off, evidently.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  6. what's the website? the only schak i've seen was the one at bassnw and to me it looked very cool but i don't particularly care for 36 inch scale length.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have played my share of Shack basses and I must say,it is nice to be proud of what you create but at least to some great degree let the creation speak for itself.
  8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Turok.

And Pete, what's this about ruffeled feathers?
  10. rickbass

"Bass Gear Review"/"Matt Schmill's FBB Custom" is a website where many people buy a piece of gear, play it for a week, and then tell you how great it is and how smart they are for buying it.....until they buy something better ;)

That's partially a snide oversimplification with a good dose of truth. There is some good info there and I always find it worth checking out.

As Josh says, I found the Schack "chutzpah" is pretty over the top. I don't mind it if someone who makes such claims can back up their mouth. But, I don't see it.

From the jist of their claims, I was practically looking to see where they said they advised Paul Tutmarc in the 1930's on how to make his Audiovox electric basses. :D
  11. Well, Rick, you gotta make sure to look for the reviews that have "Item Owned: 6 months - 1 year" or more.
  12. did they hire Gene Simmons as their publicist?
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Maybe a happy Schack customer said all of those things.
  14. rickbass

Could be, Mock....that's a very good insight and indicative of what I saw.

Maybe every Schack customer gets a
    "Gene Simmons Visa Card" with every purchase....(jeez, I've never seen such a money-addicted slice of greed in my life....Gordon Gekko looks like Mother Theresa next to him)

I've seen `em come and go after playing bass since the late 60's.

The shame is that their hyperbole causes me to be cynical about what may be a very fine instrument at a fair price.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    rickbass I don't know if you know it or not but the Shack basses are very pricey,for what their claiming.
  16. rickbass

With all respect, I think they're kind of cheap for what they claim. And that has me skeptical.

I can get the Schack pictured below for $2100 from Bass Northwest - (until I talk them down)

I work hard for my living by playing bass and putting on a fun show. But, in my books, that isn't a tremendous amount of money for what seems to be claimed as "God's gift to bassdom." If these things are the "end-all-to-be-all" of basses, I'll kick myself in the ass hard and get one, "toute de suite" -

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    thats the first time I have ever seen a Shack at that low of a price,and since that is the case maybe they have come down on their prices.maybe newer models and a need to sale basses is the reason.
  18. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    That's a used one first. Second, when it showed up over 6 months ago (maybe a year?) it was priced at $2999. The price has dropped slowly but steadily since then.
  19. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    "Notice that no bolts are used through the back of the neck. This exclusive design results in better string tension".

1. what is "better" string tension? It does appear that, whatever it is about Schack basses, it's "better"

2. Huh?
  20. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Here's another one:

Ok, so: the neck joint is the key reason the low B is tight. In fact, you only need a .122 B. This is because of the 36" scale. This is the key reason the B is so tight.

Logic? failed.

.122" on 36" scale -> .135" on a 34" scale, roughly. So yes, it makes sense that you "only" need a .122" B on the 36" scale.

Of course I'm sure the B is great. Once again a manufacturer of very nice basses has turned me off via lame jargon / hype / pseudo-scientific rationalizations.