1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How much of your bass buying decisions are based off of nostalgia?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassDudeSA, Oct 25, 2006.

1. I don't know about you guys, but these days at least half of the basses I buy (and I've bought MANY over the last year) are based more on what I consider to be nostalgic to me than what I think are the best overall basses for me. I grew up on a '78 Jazz bass, so I have purchased several similar instruments recently just because that's what I grew up on. My second big stage of playing was on Carvin basses, so I have a soft spot for those too. Although I like Fenders, I would not have bought as many Fenders (or Fender copies) as I have recently without the fond memories of my past playing a big part in my purchasing decisions.

Let's hear some stories about why you guys bought your basses NOT because they were the best choice for you, but because other similar basses were part of your past and the nostalgia bug started to bite.

2. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    Hi,

My P-Bass purchase was partially out of nostalgia...Motown nostalgia, that is. I also thought it would be a great studio bass. Other than that, nostalgia hasn't affected my purchases much.

What it has done is kept me from selling very many instruments. I have 3 different Jazz-style basses when I could probabably get away with one, but I can't bring myself to sell the other two.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Most of us are too young to be nostalgic. ;) :D

4. For me, it is now and always has been about getting the sound I need (or just plain want) for the music I'm playing. Getting a bass that produces that sound at the best possible price is always a bonus.

5. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    yup ... you must have been looking over my shoulder lately ... just bought a 60's classic series Jazz (3tsb) in an attempt to replicate the Jazz I toured with back in the very early 70's ... I was not all that aware of what I had at the time, but it turns out it was a 66-68 3tsb, dot marker, w/o binding, oval tuner Jazz ... I sold it for 200 bucks when I went in the service in 73 ... throughout the 70's I had several Fender basses, but never really played serious, they were all natural finish Precisions and Jazzes ... I currently have a 2001 MIA Natural Ash Jazz as my #1 ... I sometimes wish I wasnt old enough to be nostalgic, but we dont have much to say in that matter, and its not all bad, cuz those were some VERY sweet basses .. :)

6. Yes, that is certainly the case. I think my question is more geared towards the older bass veterans in the crowd.

7. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    No nostalgia here. I started playing bass in 1967 on a Hofner violin bass. I was in Germany and they were very cheap and I figured if it's good enough for Paul... I have no desire to own one now.
    Around 1970 I got an EB-3. I loved it and played it every day until about 1980 when I switched to guitar and didn't want the bass to take time away from learning guitar. It took me about 5 years to get around to using a pick. I'd like one, but I'm not paying what they go for these days.
    Somewhere around '73 I picked up a new Ric 4001 for $100 (it was a little warm). It was a nice bass, but I sold it after a year or two.
    I'd been bassless until last month. I've tried about 6 since then. I found one that has the perfect neck for me, but that and the bridge is all I want from it. I'll make a body and play around with altering and rewinding P-90s for it.
    Also got a bit of a bug for hollow bodies. I have one with neck pocket issues and another on the UPS truck. I've looked at the old Harmony hollow bodies on ebay and it blows my mind that they go for $700 - I'll pass.
    I never have liked Fender basses, so I'm safe there. I'll just put together a couple that suit me and tweak them as I see fit.

8. Sorax

Sorax

Sep 9, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    +1 :D I'm 17 and still on my first good bass ;)

9. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    WOW! Timely question! I own basses because they sound and play the way I like. And they're all very different, except my OLP Stingray clone is like my genuine Stingray.

My next purchase is gonna be an SX P-bass clone. After I make sure the neck is good enough to keep, I will be modding it with old gennie Fender pots, pickup and tuners and putting on some flatwounds to make a nostalgia 60's Motown axe.

This is the first time in 35+ years of playing that I have recreated a bass from the past. But you know what I'm looking for next? A natural finish pre-79 Peavey T-40. Hmm, I'm sensing a definite nostalgia trend here!

10. Gegatso

Gegatso

Jan 16, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    No buying decisions off nostalgia...I go by sound. Then again there's my Geddy - which comes close, but that was really a sound/feel thing. So in short...uh, I don't have a clear answer. ;)

Mark

11. Not many, I have always liked the Gibson SG style and Les Paul style, so I guess I could say them. Fender doesn't offer anything that flips my switch. Usually I buy for tone and construction.

12. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    BassDude,
    I started out on a '78 Fender as well, exept mine was a Precision. I don't think that I prefer P style/sounding basses out of nostagia though. For me, it's just that the P sound is just what I want to hear when I pick up a bass . They just feel right to me when I pick one up and play. It's just what works for me. No need to fix what's not broken I guess. Plus it just feels so right. I will gig with an Epi Jack Casidy once in a while.. mostly because it sounds pretty similar to a Precsion.

13. BassAgent

BassAgent Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    None. I just buy a bass for it's sound.

14. Absolutely none. Less than none, if that were possible.

15. None

16. I have a few pointy 80's era basses that I take pleasure in owning :D Probably more nostalgia than anything but they all have THEIR sound as well.

17. I think the reason that I have bought so many basses recently for nostalgic reasons is that I've becomes a bass collector. Owning over 25 basses, I guess I can really expand my interests in different areas rather than just buying the best two or three basses to cover everything.

18. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I don't own quite as many basses as you as I need three more to match, but three of them are for nostalgic reasons as they were my first 'collection' when I began playing. I sold them all for stupid reasons (in hindsight) after an accident and a couple of other things not go so well in my life. Now I've got the money spare and few interests apart from bass, I've decided to replace them as best I can. One bass, my old Alembic Distillate (83D2915 - which I'd like to buy back) I can't find, so I got a Stanley Clarke that was similar, and is actually a better bass. My old Ibanez Blazer I've replaced with a great plain version to replace the 3TS finish on my original. I have sunbursts.

Aprt from that, I buy what I like, some new, some old.

19. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Of the five basses I own, my '75 AmRI Jazz and my SR 5 are the only two which were purchased purely based on functionality. The other three were purchased out of a sense of nostalgia... or if you wanna look at it another way, because a particular "bass hero" had played one. The pleasant side-effect of this purchasing pattern? I've got five very distinctively voiced basses that cover most any base I find myself needing to cover.

20. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I think my new nostalgia-based bass purchases have focuesd my bass buying/use. I've got 30+ basses but find I only play the Rics and Fenders(and clones) lately. A LOT of nice old basses in cases in the closet not getting any use lately.