Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much PA power do we need?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sanctum, Sep 8, 2002.

1. First of all, if this is the wrong forum, please move it to the appropriate place :)

So our singer quit and took his PA (which was a piece of crap). The band is thinking of buying one for the rehearsal space only, so we can audition people and/or just sing ourselves. I've never owned a PA and have no idea how much power we need. We practice pretty loud (metal), 2 guitars, bass, drums - but our room is not that big. The PA will only be used for this rehearsal space, not gigging. If anyone can help me out and maybe suggest a certain setup, I'd appreciate it. The cheaper the better.

oh yea, we already have mics and stands, basically I'm talking a PA head and cabs.

Cheers

2. handlax14

handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    Connecticut
    you shoudl check into carvin packages. they have some decent 4 and 6 channel pa packages around 300 watts. they arent too expensive either. check it out
    carvin.com

hope it helps.
    pgk

3. agreed that carvin stuff is great value

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Mackie makes some decent boxes with effects and EQ. A step up from Carvin. I'd say don't get less than 300 watts a side. Then, in a pinch, you could use it for small gigs in an emergency.

No, these 300 watts are unrelated to my "start at 300 and go up" for bass amps. As soon as my WT-550 gets here, it's gonna be "start at 500 and go up," anyway.

Mackie Stuff

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I agree with Munji re: the Mackie recommendation. I've gotten good results with a powered mixer, the 808S (the mono version is the 808) and use it in my current trio. Effects are not great but it's reliable, powerful, versatile and reasonably portable. 600 watts per channel with two separate power amps that you can dedicate separately for mains and monitors. Driving a pair of JBL Eon 1500's, it does the job nicely in most small and medium clubs.

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Carvin, great stuff, i prefer it to mackie, but i'm an idiot. They have good PA packages.

7. hasn't anyone read the original request????. The guy only wants one for the rehearsal room!!!!!!. If its a small room the power that you are recomending is way over the top.
    All you need my friend is a 200 each side 4 channel mixer amp and a couple of 12 inch P.A cabs to match, Peavey do a very good 2x200 P.A system at a very reasonable price, or go second hand for even cheaper.

"Don't buy a sledghammer to crack a walnut"

8. dsmith

dsmith

Mar 29, 2001
    Mt. Vernon, KY
    We were in the same situation about a year ago. I bought 2 monitors to start, they are cheaper and you will use them when you are gigging. Buy yourself a powered head to power them, and leave it in the practice room. This way you have cabs for your vocals, and you can use them on stage. We did this and it worked out great. Look into a powered head w/4-6 channels with effects, (reverb). No more unloading FOH mains to practice, the monitors are very portable!

9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Jeez man, i just said carvin was good, don't go all crazy on everyone. Also, if you really need to know, 300 watts minumum was sugjested to at least hear vocals over the blaring guitars and bass and drums, and if your in that tight of a space, all your sound is running together, so more head room would not hurt at all.

10. hey i appreciate all the help :) keep the suggestions coming - I already have two floor monitors, just didnt know if that would be enough. I also have an old 2x15 bass cab lying around, so maybe all i need is to find a used head and try it with what I have.

peace

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    My band got a cool carvin package.

http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearch.exe?CFG=2&P2=1200R-1584&P1=SYS1

It's a good system... But after we got it, the bulk of the band wishes that we had stuck with this mackie system:

http://www.mackie.com/Products/PPM_Series/808S.asp

For your purpose You probably don't need that much. I bet a 200w system would be fine, but get 115 cabinets instead of 112s... big difference in volume. Also, I like my Yamaha pa cabinets much better than the Carvin cabs we got with that system.

12. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I'm sure you already know about this page but just in case.

http://www.stlmusic.com/

I've found some pretty good used PA equipment there.

I think just for practice you only need enough for vocals. Your monitors, a 6 channel board ,a power amp, EQ should get the job done. My band uses two peavey 210 cabs an old tascam 6 channel board and a 600 watt power amp (not to full power) and it's plenty loud for practice.

13. Oh yea, thats one of my favorite webpages :)