1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how much power do i need? (noobish question)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Mar 1, 2008.

1. i am a part of a 3piece rock band.
    the guitarist is using two marshal 10 watt amps from the left and right output jacks available on his korg multi-effect

so supposing he turns the volume knobs on both the amps to 9/10 and overdriving the signal using the korg ...how much power would be sufficient for me while jamming with drums (un-mic'd) along

i cannot go overboard and buy a very large 120W or so combo because i really do not have that kinda money. i need to know how much power would allow me to be heard in the jam room while leaving me with slight(est) headroom

ps: i used my hartke 30W for a few practices and the guitarist complained he coudnt really hear me loud/clear enough even though i was running it full on

please help me out...all replies are welcome

2. treebranch13

treebranch13

Oct 31, 2007
    get a good combo (either 210 or 115) with 70-100watts. people will say that is not enough, but i have done it.

3. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I think a Hartke A70 would do it for you, and it gets very loud for it's wattage.

4. Peavey have some good combos in the range of about 70-100 watts

5. so 80Watts would be allright?
    any more suggestions?

how is the idea of using a Y cables and going into two different amps from my pedals? bad idea or can it work out?

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bummer again. You need at least 300 watts. Oh well.

7. It can work, but why do that when you have one really low powered amp and one amp which is quite a bit more powerful? Unless you use the more powerful one at the same volume as the lower powered one, which negates the point of getting the higher powered one.

Id usually agree, but two 10 watt (im assuming starter) amps, isnt going to be too much to deal with. Granted anything sub 100 watts wont deal with much volume higher than that tho.

8. Hi, varunkapahi.

I've rehearsed quite a while with a SWR WM10. That's 80W 1*10" combo. It's not super loud, but get's the work done with a traditional cover rock band.

I have no idea what's the used market in India, but the traditional musicians from India I worked with a couple of time in the past, didnt seem to know or care too much about amplification. So that gives me a conclusion that there's not necessarily too much affordable older amps around over there. I might be totally off though and in that case an old Peavey TNT combo or a such is Your best bet IMHO.

If the hearing the amp is the only consern at the moment, I'd suggest an amp-stand. The floor coupling is obviously lost, but the improved midrange projection is worth it. I used one with my SWR.

Regards
    Sam

9. when i used to play with my buddies i used a Genz Benz ML10T

Its a 1x10 90 watts. It was not loud enough. I could hear it, drummer and guitar could hear it, but it was pure mud-cakes. If you want something to just get you buy, a sub 100 watt amp will work. But if you want something to be heard with some headroom, your going to need to get some type of combo with around 200 watts

10. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    When I was in my 1st band as a bassist, all I had was a Peavey combo with 1 12" driver & 60 watts behind it. We played dance rock and the guitarist & drummer were somewhat reasonable with their volume. That amp would NOT keep up. If you playing any kind of rock music, you need as many watts as you can afford for headroom, and you need to push as much air as you can handle moving yourself(load-in/out) that will still fit in your car.
    I say, at least a single 15" driver, and preferable a pair of 12" drivers for your cab. I say at least a couple hundred watts of power to push 'em.

11. ogrossman

ogrossman

May 20, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    I get into a similar situation when my band plays really small rooms. The guitars bring little practice amps that would blow my old Crate B25 out of the water. I upgraded to a 50W Crate (BT50) and that is barely enough. I would really need more like 75 to 100W to have a comfortable amount of head room.

I suggest you find yourself a good used 50W combo for now and upgrade when you can afford it. If you take good care of the first one you'll get your investment back out of it when you trade up.

12. bassermaniac

bassermaniac

Jun 30, 2007
    +1 for Hartke A70 as an upgrade to your 30w hartke
    Good amp-affordable too

13. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    You would think that logically a 60 watt amp would be twice as loud as your 30 watt amp. Unfortunately, that isn't true. It is a logarithmic progression, so, everything else being equal, to go twice as loud, you'd need 300 watts, and to get twice as loud again, 3000 watts. Notice however I said "everything else being equal." You can change the equation by increasing the size of your speakers. I'd recommend a 2x10" or 1x15" configuration. I learned to play on an inexpensive Peavey combo that was only 130 watts, but was quite loud due to its 15" speaker. Good luck!

14. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I've played in a 3 piece band with an SWR La 12(60 watts, 12" speaker) and it was fine. However, that was 60 year old a jazz drummer who knew how to listen. With another drummer 200 watts from my Trace Elliot into 1 12" and 1 15" wasn't quite cutting it. I could be heard but it wasn't clean. Seems like the smaller "professional" amps start around 400 watts but what you need really depends on your band and the space you're in.

15. 300 watts tis the minimum for a gigging band imho. Would it be easier to build a cabinet ( 1X 15" or whatever you could scrounge), and buy a head? Ebay a Peavey 12" TNT ??

16. firstly thanks for all your replies :)

yeah there isn't much of a used market up here. although the musicians in the rock circuit do care about the amplification somewhat.

yeah i am aware of that equation
    if you double your power you volume increases by 3dB; to double your volume you need to add 10dB this equates to about 10times increase in power

17. Ken R

Ken R Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Greater Knoxville TN
    FWIW, a Peavey TKO80 seems to have plenty of volume for me. My band practice space is a room the size of a 2 car garage. One guitarist plays a Strat into a Blues Jr., the other guitarist plays a Les Paul into the largest pedal board I have ever seen, then into a Deluxe Reverb. The drummer does not know how to hit with anything less than total abandon.
    The TKO is set to about 1/2 volume pre and post. The DB meter says we play at about 103-104 db. The TKO will get alot louder without any problems.
    All this from 80 watts into 1-15 inch speaker.

$125 at a pawn shop.

Works for me.

Ken R

18. Flintlock

Flintlock

Jul 3, 2007
    Southampton
    Make the drummer use silencer pads! They're fine on the drums, although they make the cymbals sound crud. We found by resting the pads on the cymbals (but not the part where you hit) they worked much better at muting them. Then you'll need a much smaller amplifier. Of course, part of the fun is being really ridiculously insanely loud, so it might be worth saving up ;)

I use a Marshall MB4210 now, and it's easily loud enough. In the UK its £300, I haven't seen any American music stores with it.

19. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Peavey TNT 115.

Cheap.

Easy to find.

Durable.

It's basically the simple solution for now. Don't get into worrying about tone and futzing over which brand you like better until your guitar player decides to make a big upgrade. Save your money so that you can invest in an upgrade. Someday he will surprise you with a Triple Rectifier, and you will want to curl up and die. Yes, because he'll be way too loud.... but it'll also sound like you moved into Hoobastank's living room.

The TNT is solid. It likes to be abused. Weight it not an issue, because it sounds better after it's been dropped down stairs. Don't forget to give it a bath too.

1 bottle of cheap domestic beer per week.

20. alright guys
    dunno now what to do maybe i should find a job or something to earn some bread to buy real amplification and then return back to it