1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How much power going to each cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dano59, Apr 11, 2009.

1. I have a Hartke 1X15 and a Hartke 4X10 that I am running relatively low power to from a GK 400RB.
    The amp is only putting out about 200 watts with both cabs hooked up and each cabinet is rated at 300 watts.
    Now I realize that my amp is not a powerhouse by any means but I was thinking about how things work and with two cabs hooked up does that mean I am spreading 200 watts between the 2 cabs which would be about 100 each or are both amps getting the full power capability of the amp?

Of course I realize that this is all volume level dependent but the principle of how the power rating works is the same.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    If the cabs are both 8 Ohms, then they are both receiving approximately equal power. The speaker power rating is how much the speaker can handle, not how much it actually gets. It's like the load rating on a bridge. If the bridge is rated at 8000 pounds, it doesn't mean that every car going across weighs 8000 pounds.

3. I understand that.

What I think is happening:
    If the amp is putting out 100 watts that 100 watts is getting spread out so that each cab is receiving about 50 watts right?

4. Maybe a better way to ask since you seam to have a grasp of electronics,

is it a parallel or series circuit?

5. Parallel circuit from the 400rb, unless you make a special series cable from one amp output (and that will decrease your output wattage greatly at 16 ohms, both cabs 8ohms).

6. Yes, assuming both cabs are 8 ohms.

7. Thanks, no worries about blowing my cabs with my amp that's for sure.