how much power is enough? (brainrost?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RS, Feb 3, 2001.

1. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a SWR 350 and a Ampeg SVT3 pro. I want louder sounding amp. How much more output (in watts) do I need to go up to hear a significant change in loudness? I want an amp that will stand up to the Marshall stack and will not clip. Help!
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This is one place where my standard, "Start at 300 and go up" isn't going to cut it. Even 600 watts won't make a big difference here. Maybe 800, more likely 1000 and go up. You don't mention your cabs, but more and/or better cabs would probably go just as far. Sorry, I know I'm not Brian, but who is?
  3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    You gotta increase your sound not in WATTS but in dB.
    To increase it in decibel@watt factor you must know that the first significant increase in apparent volume (loudness) is +3dB , this is achieved by putting an another exact source of sound.
    If your cab is working at 96 dB@1W/1M and you add another cab at 96 dB@1W/1M you wont get 192 dB, you will get 99 dB@1W/1M.
    Thats double.

That translates into this.
    To get more loudness you dont only need a bigger amp, you need more speakers.
    Those could be driven by the same ammount of power, of course it is better if you double the wattage.
    Now.. My suggestion would be to get a 1000Watt Amp , and if you have only 1 cab, then buy another one.
    The SVT3PRO is enough to play along with a Marshall JCM900 Stack, IF you have more moving Air.
    The more speakers, or the bigger they are, will translate into Louder sound. Also, you gotta remember that all of this is APPARENT Volume, if you boost the 800Hz at your eq, you will easily hear yourself more.

[Edited by lfabara on 02-03-2001 at 04:41 PM]
  4. Yes, it's not just more power, it's pushing more air, this done of course by having more cabs. A 250w per side stereo power amp driving two cabs each side, total four, will sound HUGE, whereas a 1000w head driving one cab wont come anywhere near it.
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Or why not make the guitarist turn down? :D
    Seriously, my guitarist plays through a 100W Marshall full stack, and I am loud enough with my 240W / 2x10".
  6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    No guitar player with a marshall tube stack will turn it down...
    Those, only sound great when cranked. (THats why marshall sells the power brake)