Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much power is needed to power an Accugroove ElWhappo and an WhappoGrande ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Silverstar, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Hi Guys !

Because i'm really into deep, deep sub-bass I'm going to get an ElWhappo and a WhappoGrande (21" Subwoofer) somewhere in the future when my bank account is strong enough (probably 10 years :rolleyes: )
    So what do you recommend me as an amp I thought of sth. like two Ampeg SVT-4 heads because I think I really need lots lots of power of keep a 21" woofer moving.
    Please help me with you advice :)

2. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I'm assuming weight won't matter considering how large the cabs themselves are, so I'd suggest a couple of QSC RMX amps (or even just one might suffice.) Probably 700-1000 watts per cab would be about right.

3. actually, you just described my speaker array! I took delivery of my El Whappo not long ago and I'm expecting my Whappo Grande in the coming months. on Mark's recommendation (Mr. AccuGroove himself!) I'm using a Stewart World 2.1 which puts out around 775 watts on either channel onto 4 ohms. TOTALLY transparent sound...!

hope that helps,

from the low end,

Stew

4. What's so bad about 2 Ampeg SVT4-Pros. I mean I really really dig that sound.
    There should be no prob going with to SVT4-Pros, shouldn't it ?
    Man I really love the sound of them, you are very lucky :)

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Skip the redundancy (two preamps) and just get an SVP-PRO and a nice power amp (like the QSCs mentioned). Most of the SVT4-PRO's tone (if not all) is coming from the preamp.

Not to mention each SVT4 is 42 pounds, whereas one QSC 3402PLX is 21 pounds! :)

6. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    It's such a personal taste & all of these options that have been posted are excellent ones. You could even get 2 Merlins since you're in Germany or for super light weight 1 or 2 Walter Woods.

Depending on how large of a venue you play, how many people in the band, the type of music & how loud everyone is will determine the power needed.

With a small venue that's not that loud, you could get by with maybe 350-400 watts each. A louder band & venue could require 600-700 watts each. Personally, I like having more than needed so you don't start clipping & you always have plenty of headroom.

Just remember more IS better & just because you have more power doesn’t mean you have to us it. Let me know if you have any more questions. You can also contact my good friend Jens Ritter at Ritter Basses in Germany.

Whappo

7. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I agree that 2 SVT-4's are just redundant. If you want a backup in case the preamp section in one fails, that's fine, but two bass heads is just extra cost and weight. 1 svt-4 and a poweramp, or an SVP-Pro and two poweramps would be much more practical.