1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How much power would you recomend for my situation?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rapturebass, Mar 25, 2009.

1. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    Hi. Before you get your panties in a bunch, i have read IvanMike's sticky. Anyhow, how much power would you recomend for talent shows, small outdoor school gigs, and small all-ages club. I'm having an amp dilema and i figured you guys could help. BTW, my rhythm guitar uses a 75 watt Line 6 combo amd my lead uses a Roland Microcube. However, these are subject for change. Thanks!

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Off the top of my head I would say 300-500 watts sensibly EQ'd and running through adequate cabs should work just fine. IMO/YMMV etc.

3. I've been playing for 15 years with plenty of open air big stages and I've never come across a situation where 240 watts cannot deliver. For the last 10 years I have been using my GK 400RB-III with no problems whatsoever.

I have however had situations where one cabinet is not sufficient. I'd always recommend getting a smaller head and more cabs. That way you can use one cab for small gigs or 2 for bigger gigs.

4. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...at least 300 watts...you can always turn the knob to the left...and two 210 cabs stacked on their side in a line array ...

5. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    thanks! Also, i'm looking at a stack pack at an affordable price for a 7th grader, and i've heard rumors that i shouldn't use only a 1x15 (what it comes with) becuase it loses the fundamental? Is this true? I will evenntually get a 4x10 for it if i get it, though.

6. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    The GK brat pack???

Don't waste your money.
    There's nothing wrong with 115's, as long as they're good ones.

7. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    Your rhythm player must barely have his volume on at all. The Micro Cube is only 2 watts through a single 5" speaker. It's a pretty cool little amp and loud for what it is, but it's not much.

Check your local Craigslist for used gear. Way more bang-for-the-buck than any new gear.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Here is what I reccomend: cab = Bag End S15D

That is a very loud, durable cab. Add another one later and you will ALWAYS be loud enough. Its fairly cheap at about $250 used and around 50LBS so its portable too.

For the amp I would say a minimum of 300w... 500w would be better. Maybe a peavey?

If you are serious about bass don't buy junk as you'll regret it later. There is lots of good gear out there that is not super expensive.

9. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI

Good luck with that.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    +1 I've run a 250 watt @ 4 ohm head for the better part of 20 years and have never ran out of juice.

For your gig a nice 100 to 200 watt combo with a 12, 15 or pair of 10s would be fine. The Ampeg BA115, Acoustic B100, Ashdown 515, GK Backline 112 or Nemesis N15 would all be on my list to check out... that Nemesis is on clearance and looks like the best deal.

11. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    James speaks the truth.

12. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    Thanks james i might just do that: get a nice 100 watt-200 watt combo and crank the volume.

it's the acoustic b200 and b115 combo:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acousti...250W-1x15-Bass-Cab-Package-483494-i1415333.gc

I don't really like the eq's on these though, i prefer Fender eqs, so if i follow James' advice i'll probably get a Fender combo or maybe a Line 6 LD150.

13. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
  14. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yes, its a good amp. If you are worried about the amp having too much power, just make sure you dont turn the volume up too much. Also, if you are using an 8ohm cab, you'll only get half the amp's power so that is something to consider as well.

Do a search on TB on that amp and see what you come up with.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    not bad! I think the cab is pretty well matched with that head.

16. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    I have an even older 400 RB (200 watts) and it handles everything I throw at it if it is paired to a good cab or two. The cabs are much more important for volume than the head, IMHO: I once tried it using a single, crappy Fender 1x15 and it wasn't enough for a practice. Anything with 250+ watts nowadays will do if you make it go through an efficient cab.

FYI, I use a Peavey 215 BW and it's efficient, even for its age. I'd recommend not buying a combo and searching for used gear. The reason ? Combos are voiced for bedroom practice for the most part* and will thus have some flavour of mid scoop going on at pretty much all times.

Sure it doesn't sound like a million bucks, but I have simple tastes: a solid rock and blues p-bass tone is what I'm after and this doesn't need bells and whistles. At your stage in your playing career, you should strive for the same. Depndable, rugged, affordable gear.

I paid about 400$, not including shipping for the head for this setup and I'm probably set for life. A second BW loaded enclosure might be in the plans later on (1x15) along with a backup head, but it isn't a necessity by a long shot.

* Unless you go for the 200 watts + combos, but they are very often a PITA to lug around and don't offer the flexibility head+cab offers.

17. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Used GK Backline 600 (200W @ 8 ohms, 300 @ 4 ohms) and a used Peavey (2x10, 4x10, whatever) cab will have you good to go at around $400, maybe less.

18. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    Looks decent to me, too. I used to own one of those heads and I liked it. If you search around TB you'll find several other satisfied users. That head will go down to 2 ohms comfortably so you can easily add cabs later if you feel you need more volume. (it'll be darn loud if you do, though!)

I'm not familiar with the cab so I can't comment on it.

Shoot the seller an email and ask for his best price--maybe he'll come down a bit. Go check it out and see how it sounds. Grab it if you like it--that's all that really matters.

19. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    Thanks for all your help! I think i'll try to get him to lower it $ 50 to $ 75 so i can afford it a little easier. Excuse my ingorance, but can you explain how i can go from 8 to 4 to 2 ohms? I read The Bass Handbook by Adrian Ashton which had info on it, but it was hard to understand. My brother just explianed it to me, (he's an automotive electrical wizard guy)but how do i switch the ohms? Is there a knob on the back of the head, is there a certain cable, etc.? Thankyou for all your help.

20. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    Plug two 8-ohm speaker cabs in and your amp will see a 4-ohm load. Plug two 4-ohm cabs in and it'll be a 2-ohm load. If you mix cabs of different ohms you'll have some number between there and the cabs will receive different amounts of power, which will make one louder than the other. Make sure you're using speaker cables, NOT instrument cables to plug the cabs in or you'll risk damage.

You can download the owner's manual for this amp from the Peavey website on this page.

Cash in hand is a good incentive for the seller to lower the price a bit. Good luck, and keep us posted.