Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sigbass, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Sigbass

Sigbass

Mar 17, 2004
    I'm getting a Avatar 410 and it's a 1400 watt cab. How powerfull of a head would I need to support this? I understand you can blow a cab by underpowering it. What would be some decent heads?

Thanks

2. I'd say anything 300 watts and over would be fine...less than that would probly do fine...but I figure if you're gonna run a rig...THEN RUN A RIG!!

3. Sigbass

Sigbass

Mar 17, 2004
    What do you suggest for the most power/quality head for the price? I was attracted to Avatar because thier so cheap!

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Most power for the price...the 300 watt Behringer heads that sell NEW for $200. Quality on these is unknown though, they haven't been on the market long enough (only about 6 months) to know whether they will hold up for years or not.

Another good bet is a USED Gallien Kreuger 400RB head for about $200. Lower power (200 watts) but they have been stood up on the road for over 20 years, you can't go wrong with one.

5. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I think the blowing a cab by underpowering it thing is a myth.

I have an Avatar 212 and I only run 150 watts into it, and it's survived for a year and counting.

6. I agree to a point. The idea that a 150 watt amp can melt the voice coils of a cab rated at 1400 watts? I doubt it. If you are running a 150 watt amp into hard clipping it can put out a max of about 300 watts of distorted power. Much of that power is in the frequency range covered by the tweater which is probably only rated at 100 watts. So you might possibly blow the tweater. Most likely you would just blow the protection device. I'd get an amp that puts out about 350 watts into what ever load your cab is.

7. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I've never much cared for tweeters, so my volume is always turned way down. I've also never needed to turn my amp up past 6, so I don't think I've ever clipped it.

It's all dependent on your situation. Some people get all they need from a 60 watt tilt-back combo.

Some of the stuff I've been looking at lately; Hartke (3000, 3500, 4000, 5500), Ashdown MAG 300, Ampeg b2r.

8. 1400watts continuous? You can stick anything up to 2800watts on it (the limit of a normal power socket).

9. Sigbass

Sigbass

Mar 17, 2004
    When you have a cab like this, what difference does the amount of watts make?