How much power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bottomdweller70, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Currently playing an Ampeg 8x10 with a peak of 1600 watts at 4 ohms. Looking for an amp to drive this thing for club/theater size gigs. How much extra headroom will I need to look for in an amp? I plan on running in bridged-mono.
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What price range? Head or rack?
  3. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I think a tube SVT would match up pretty well with that -

Call me crazy... :D
  4. price range.

Purely a power question much power is enough?
  5. I guess my question is this: I have heard of people using, for example, the Stewart 2.1 or 1.6, that provide 2100 and 1600 watts bridged-mono respectively with this same cab. Is all this power necessary? When is enough...enough?
  6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    You might wana grab an Aguilar all tube power amp while they last, depending on what you play and like. If not, then a QSC 1600 or Crown or Stuart or Crest or Mackie equivilant should be good.
  7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep, Stewart 2.1 in bridged mode, will deliver 2100 watts. If I were you though, I'd turn down the "extreme low end", the Ampeg cab doesn't handle that very well, it's much better in the lower-mids. :)
  8. But how much headroom do you really need?

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    No PA for a theater??

Hmmmm, if that's the case, all of the choices are good, but I'd go with a QSC.
  10. You guys are missing my question here.

Is a 100 watt head sufficient to make my 8x10 thump or do I need a 2100 watt Stewart? I don't need amp recommendations, just power recommendations.
  11. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    The question is the issue, no one can accurately predict exactly how much power you'll need to drive that thing at YOUR preferred volume levels. Many would say the 300 watt SVT is more than enough, others will tell you their 2.1 leaves them wanting even more... there's no right answer. Get enough watts so that you'll never have to worry about this question of whether you have enough. If 2100 watts is "enough" then just go buy the Stewart and make yourself happy.

Is there something about your SVT-CL that leaves you wanting?
  12. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    I build computers and am a computer wiz. People think if they simply double their processor speed, aka 1400 mhz to 2400 mhz their pc speed will double. This is just not the case and there are many other variables to consider.

Rather then obsessing over how many watts you can push through, I would get another cab. I mean, 1k watts is plenty. 2000 watts 5000 watts 8000 watts! I'd be way happy with 800 watts personally.

How about add a 2 x 15 cab to your set up? Now you are going to really get loud! :hyper:
  13. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    1000 to 1600 would be plenty. If you go with a Preamp/Poweramp setup you'll have more options. QSC is great, Crown, and i've heard good things about Carvin.

14. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

How much power?

More, always more!

Just like GAS ;)

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Power for power's sake isn't the answer, and too many musician's want to stand in front of a monster rig and sonically liquify everything within a 20 yard radius.

Not that I'm against wattage, but if I have to push close to 1000 watts for a gig, I'm goin' DI
  16. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    A lot of it depends on your stage volume. If your band plays loud, get lots of power. Otherwise, let your PA do the work for you. How big are the stages? How far apart are the band members? Do you have side throws?

I have played big stages, outdoors with an SWR Redhead and it was fine. It was a huge stage and the amp was miked. It came through the wedge as I had asked, and we kept out stage volume low, Two guitarists.

I have yet to need more that three hundred watts of power on any stage in 30 years of playing.
  17. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    The reason a lot of players use power amps that have so much potential power, is so that they can use the amps to a less extreme level.

For example: The QSC PLX 3402.... do you think people that have this power amp run it mono bridged at 4ohms? Unless they have some friggon powerful cabs, I wouldnt think most people do. They tend to use them in stereo, and often use "half" of the entire power amp. Why? Well, if you play outdoors in the hot sun, or anywhere for a long duration, you want your amp to be running in a less stressful setting. 4ohms bridged (or 2 ohms stereo) is the hardest you can push your amp. If you can get the same power in 8ohms stereo.... well.... why the hell not?

Anyways... I wouldnt put more than 1400Watts into the Ampeg 810, just to be safe. You wouldnt need more than that anyways. I see bands tour and play without a DI (occaisionally) with 700Watts. You could get by with anywheres from 600Watts to 1000Watts... no worries. And you can get the power amp for cheap too. If you really have the money, then go ahead and get a Tube head.
  18. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm trying to get this issue together in my head too, as I'm saving all my weekly gig-money (WEEKLY! Oh-boy - FINALLY!) for an amp rig now.

As of now I'm still using a borrowed amp: a 140W Hartke that's running at more like EIGHTY because of the 8-Ohm Hartke cab I'm running with it. It has no authoritve lows, but it's by no means QUIET! We play smallish taverns and small rock music clubs, and when the drummer brings his acoustic drums along (which we sort of discourage because he CAN'T play quieter than an artillery cannon), it's stage-volume-wise just about about barely loud enough to keep up with the drum volume (and, of course, the now-loud guitar that ALSO has to keep up with this artillery barrage) -- eighty watts!

I do use PA support from our little subwoofer-less 2-way passive PA, partially because the PA has a nice, even dispersion, so it more evenly 'fills the room'.

I'd already thought to myself something like "well once I want some nice powerful lows, I'll need more power", but then it occurred to me that if I'm running the head flat in the lows (I only boost upper-mids, and assume that I'll similarly want to do that with the new system) then I can only assume that the lows are being produced by the amp, but just not making it out of the cab.

Anyway: I can imagine how many of these guys are running big amps for headroom reasons, and not actually cranking them up to produce more than a few hundred watts continuous average! ..right?

19. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    I use that amp, and no, I don't run it that way. I do run 1100 watts out of each side though. I'd run that Ampeg 8x10 out of one side of my amp and leave the other open for more cab options.

Horny Toad