How much power??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff O'Connor, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Jeff O'Connor

Jeff O'Connor Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    Stratford, CT
    I plan on getting a Avatar 2x12 NEO. How many watts would all you freaks :bassist: reccomend?

I was considering the Behringer EP2500. Gotta admit, thats good power for the $.

2. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Insted of the behringer :bag: why not try and get an ashdown mag 300h. Thats 300 watts @ 4ohms and better quality then the behringer :bag: . On the avatar website, it shows that you can get great deals on hartke and ashdown heads if you buy one of their cabs. Ideally you'd want between 300-600 watts for that cab.

Do you know how many ohms the cab is that you are getting?

Whats your price range and what type of music do you play?

Personally I prefer quality, nothin against berhinger they're just not my thing.

3. Jeff O'Connor

Feb 16, 2004
    Stratford, CT
    Oops, I forgot to mention. I have a RBI that I will be using already.
    and like most of us, A very strict budget.
    I play anything from R&B funk to prog, to country.
  4. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

Well if you already have a pre amp, might as well get a power amp to go with it.

I'd go with QSC or Crown. You can check out crown amps here

And you can also check out QSC here

Hope that helps ya out.

5. The Behringer EP2500 IS a power amp. FWIW I've used my B212 (delta lf) outdoors with 900 watts of power w/o PA support and I cut through well. I'm not saying that is ideal but maybe you don't need 10000000000000 watts from a cheap amp.
  6. Jeff O'Connor

Feb 16, 2004
    Stratford, CT
    I understand your thinking. I just totally want the headroom. Any other suggestions for around 300$ that'll drive that cab with pwr to spare? I just so hate seeing an amp clip ya know? :eyebrow:
  7. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Power to spare?

QSC RMX850 = $300 new
    600Watts bridged at 8ohms
    830Watts bridged at 4ohms
    If thats not loud enough for you, then you should probably be investing in more cabs instead of more power. You dont really need a Kilowatt usually unless your playing a large outdoor show.

If you go used, you could afford the QSC RMX1450 (which I own and plan to use with a Sansamp).
    900Watts bridged at 8ohms
    1400Watts bridged at 4ohms.
    $400 new... so you could SURELY get it used for $300 or less.

By the way... what impedance is your cab? 8ohms is definately preferable in this situation... because it means you can expand your rig in the future while still keeping your power amp bridged.
  8. I would be concerned about sound quality and durability from such a high power inexpensive amp. I think the AMP is cheap!

For $300 new you can get a QSC RMX850 which puts out 830 watts bridged @ 4ohms. These are well tested, durable, and sound very good.

FWIW I only experience a very occasional clip in medium rooms using 450 watts into my B212. I've never even seen the clip lights using my full rig which is run at 725 watts.

BTW I got my QSC USA900 used (900 bridged @8 ohms) for $165 on Evilbay
  9. Those RMX's are good amps! I prefer them over the PLX series hands down. Get as much power as you can afford.

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    Some "freaks" like thunderfunk amps. :eek:
  11. Monomer

Jul 22, 2005

depends on if you like to haul the extra weight around.

and PLX's have lower THD, and less current draw.

needless to say, I'm ordering a 3002 monday.
  12. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    I'm curious about the sonic differences between those two lines. Anyone do an A/B?
  13. I go by my ears and not specs. The PLX's don't sound as deep. Hard to explain but that is my opinion after A/B'ing a couple.
  14. This is the BEST advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
  15. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Ya, I ran a RMX 1850HD for a few years, then got a PLX 2402 to save weight. If there's a difference in sound, I can't hear it. The fan on the RMX was a tad louder tho.
  16. It will be hard to find a PLX for the $300 joconnorwi is looking to spend. At this price point you can't think about the added cost of light weight design.