How much Power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PunkerTrav, Dec 16, 2001.

1. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Right now i have a 15 watt crate amp. Got it when i got my bass.:D I have expanded as a player and i started looking for a more powerful amp.

I was in a store when i saw this roland Db-700. It was really loud, sounded good, but it was $1500 canadian. I checked out some other places, and discovered that for $1500, i could get myself a good quality full stack. so I started looking at heads and cabinets. Showing some maturity :eek: , I realized i dont really need 600 watts pumped into a big cab. But I don't know what i do need?:confused:

I need something with volume, good tone, and a fairly good price. (hopefully under $1000, although I would pay more if it is worth it) The biggest venue i could see my self playing in the next 5- 10 years is, maybe, a large school gym or a nightclub, possibly a concert hall of sorts. That is being extremely optemistic.

anyway, you guys have ALOT more experience than I do, so i would like to hear anything you have to say.

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I think that I asked this same question shortly after I got started and the overall answer was as much as you can afford. Most of the people that replied felt that there was no such thing as to much power. ;) Here's that thread:

How Much Power Thread

I hope this helps.
  3. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    you could look for used stuff (ebay,, bass central, bass palace) to get the most for your bux.

but if you're gonna go new, here are some options for keeping it at about 1k. prices quoted are musician's friend - ish. if you look around you can get better prices.

fender bassman (560)
    gallien krueger 400rb (450)
    hartke 4000 (500)
    trace elliot ah150-7 (460)
    swr workingman's 2004 or 4004 (450-600)
    ampeg b2r (570)

carvin 410 (400)
    fender bassman 410 (430)
    nemesis 410 (530)
    sunn 410 (440)
    swr workingman's 410 (600)
    you might try an ampeg svt410hlf...

anyway, these are good places to start. i wouldn't go ultracheap like speakerhole or rogue or something like that. i don't know anything about the new gallien krueger backline series - they're priced really low...i have a feeling they're very entry-level and wouldn't satisfy your needs for too long. you might get away with getting a higher-end 2x10 or 1x15 cab, like an eden d-series or swr professional. also aguilar or acme (

when you get a chance you should take your bass to some store that has a large selection and just play alot of stuff. don't buy too soon. see what you like and don't like, and then figure out what works for you. good luck in your search, and if you have questions, fire away - this site and its members are pretty cool about things. :cool:
  4. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Thanks, for the input. I noticed that all the cabs you listed were 4x10's... Are they the most versatile? Are they better than other configurations?

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    4x10's aren't necessarily better than anything else. It simply depends on your personal preference. You'll simply have to try out as many things as you can before you buy, then *you* decide which is better.
  6. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I think you should get a good 4x10 and a decent sized head, something with at least 350 watts. If you get a 4x10 and dont see yourself upgrading your rig in the future, make sure its a 4 ohm speaker cabinet so you'll get more power out of your amp. An 8 ohm speaker cab is better if you want to have a stack.
  7. Living in Canada I understand how all the good stuff costs crazy amounts of money. Give Peavey a try. I just got their 4x10 and the Nitrobass all for $1500 and it's great.
  8. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    yeah i listed all 410's...most people consider them more versatile than 15's, but that's not necessarily true. i suppose i generally prefer smaller speakers because they sound 'faster', more articulate - they 'speak' better, to my ears at least. 15's do project more easily though (play to the back of the room), and cause you to 'feel' the bass a little more.

most people would say that if you're going to have just one cabinet, you probably want a 410. like lo-end says, get an 8 ohm cab so you can add another 8 ohm cab later (giving an impedance rating of 4 ohms - the minimum for most affordable bass heads). i would suggest getting a 410 first, and then a 115 later.

definitely look around. you might ask bigbohn what he thinks since he recently got thru considering many options. here's an idea -

and there's a misprint on there - with the 115 extension you get a 240w output.

happy gear searching. :cool:
  9. I'm looking at the Carvin RL210(?) right now, I played it at our last gig (a bass player from another band let me use his) and it's a combo that puts out 600W, and only costs like $800-900! I've looked around, and for the power you get (and portability, convenience, etc.) it's the best deal I could find. And 600W would definitely be enough for your situation. I'm getting one as soon as I can sell my Ampeg B100-R.
  10. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I would say get as much power as you can afford AND are willing to haul around.
    It also depends very much on your style of music and playing volume.
    IMHO a ~400W head is a good compromise. When I was in your situation I got me a 200W amp - sufficient (but not more) for many years, now with my 400W head I feel comfortable. I play(ed) blues, rock, pop, gospel; no metal, hardcore and such.