how much practice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ilfretless, Mar 18, 2001.

1. ilfretless

ilfretless Guest

Mar 16, 2001
    Milan, Italy
    how much practice do you need to be able to switch from a 4-string to a 5-string fretless?
    I play from almost two years and i learned all by my own.
    I just want to use a fretless'cause i love the sound they have.
  2. 4-string fretted to 5-string fretless.. hmm.. probably not too much practice, but enough to keep yourself busy for a few weeks =)
  3. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    as much practice as it takes to get better. Practice Makes Perfect! ^_^;
  4. I always thought the quote should be "PERFECT practice makes perfect" could be skrewing around but not making the most of your time. Then you would be practicing, but going nowhere fast.
  5. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    To tell you the truth, you can't really "ask" anyone how much practice it takes to "learn this & learn that". It all depends on the person, their talent, their musical background, their body shape, their arm strength, and their ears. First off is definately their musical background. I've only played bass for a year and 3 months and to tell you the truth, I think I've picked up A LOT with in these 15 months. I've never taken a lesson either. But i've had 9 years of Piano before picking up bass, so I've gotten that musical background, which helped A LOT when I picked up the bass. Their talent. some people are just born professionals. They have that natural talent to play bass. These kinda people might just pick up a fretless and just play perfectly without a problem! Their ears. Very important. Fretless is all about the intonation, if you have the ears to hear the perfect intonation, you should be fine. Thats where the "musical background" part comes in to play also, If you played a musical instrument before bass, you're ears are much more 'trained' to hearing notes, which will definately help on the intonation when your playing a fretless. And the most important part is probably their Motivation. They need to have motivation to learn fretless(even bass itself) THe more motivation they have, more than likely, they will get better in no time. ^__^
    thats just my long 2cents :D
  6. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Its always been "Practice makes Perfect" ^_^
  7. Personally, i transitioned from the 4 to 5 within a matter of minutes. I had no problem at all with the adapt or anything. Just don't go right back to the 4 for a while else if you play the 4 too consistantly after getting the 5, it may throw you off. personally, i won't touch 4's anymore unless they are truely such fine pieces that you just can't help yourself.
  8. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Yes but now people can't be satisfied with that age old expression so coaches worldwide have changed it to "Perfect practice makes perfect."
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

And I bought my first 6 after 15 years of exclusive 4 playing(except for a 6 month stretch with a terrible 5), and gigged with it 2 days later!

Some people are a little more coordinated than others, but like FortuneCookie said, stick with the 5 for a few days and you should have no problems.

Now that I have years of 4(20+), 5(2 1/2) and 6(4 1/2) under my belt, I switch from one to the other without difficulty, and I'm not exactly the brightest or most skilled guy in the world.

If I can do it, anybody can!:)
  10. I agree with you totally. I can now pick up a 4 or 5 or even 6 and play any of them with ease and have no problem switching from one to the other.
  11. Changing 4 to 5 is not exactly the problem...the width of the string is. Same thing with 6 string. Now, fretless is a different story. With a fretted bass, when you press a note in a frett, regardless of where you press the note, as long as it's within the frett that you intend to play, it'll be THAT NOTE. However with fretless, where you put your finger, is where the note is "hanging over" to produce that note. So it is a bit hard to play "intune" if you didn't position the finger correctly. Thats where the ghostline comes in handy. You should practice a lot in positioning the finger correctly. Be descipline and have the mentality of a freakin' perfectionist!!

Also, to get the "fretless" sound would depend on string chioces. But remember, there's a well known producer who hated this frettless player, simply because he is so good at puting his finger in the right place, that everytime he played his fretless, it sounded "perfectly" in tune. You can't hear the subtle "out of tune" character of a fretless. You wouldn't want to be like that either right?:)
  12. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    A lot.
  13. The 4 to 5 wont be as hard as the fretted to fretless, but if you practice right and be accute with the pitch, you should be fine.
  14. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I made the "bass" transistion from 4 to 5 string in a couple of hours.But my problem is that I'm also lead vocalist in my band. The vocal part has always limited what I am able to play in a given tune. When I concentrate on the the vocal it is necessary that I get into a fairly repetitive bass groove so that I can forget the basslines and concentrate on the vocals. The switch from 4 to 5 string is more of a concentration thing than anything else because you have to visualize the neck a little differently. That is not a big deal when I'm not singing. But in a gig I sing about 28 songs a night and going back and forth from a 4 to 5 really screws up my head.
    I fixed the problem by tuning my back up gig bass (a 4 string) to BEAD.
  15. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Which you will need if you stay with the 4string, as well :D
  16. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Hey... if it takes a lot of practice its another excuse to play more bass.... keep playin!!
  17. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I concur.
  18. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Switching from 4 to 5 can need no practice at all if you only play the EADG strings and rest your thumb on the B string :D

All jokes aside, it took me a while to remember to use the B string on some of our old song's bass lines instead of moving hands to catch a F# from a high E for example.
    But it was just a matter of concentration.
  19. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I think the point of the original post is the frettless part.

The frettless bass is almost like a different instrument. It adds at least two new dimentions.

1. entonation, you really have play attention to the notes so that you get them right. Make sure you put your fingers where the lines are supposed to be, not in the middle of the fret like on normal basses

2. expression, wow new sounds, new things, the bass can actually sing

I find it a lot easier to practice with a frettless because until you get step 1 and 2 right you are going to need a lot of time. Before you know it your daily practice time is long gone and you just want more.

Even playing bass on Mary had a little lamb can be a challenge on a fretless if you want it to be.