1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How much primer, paint and laqcuer do I need to paint my pbass body?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BassistJonathan, Jun 8, 2007.

1. BassistJonathan

BassistJonathan

Dec 23, 2006
    First of all, please don't tell me to search the threads because I know that theres loads of info on painting basses but I cant find any info on the quantity. From what I an tell I need the following: (tell me if Im wrong)

• Wood primer
    • Spray paint
    • Clear coat acrylic laqcuer

All preferably of the same make, I have found a company in the Uk which produces all of what i need and they sell each product in a 400ml can. How much of each will I need as I do not want to order too many times as delivery is £6 a shot.

2. It depends on how porous the wood is for the sealer, but I'd order (to err on the safe side) 2 cans each of sealer (one of the body is alder or ash with the grain properly filled, 2 cans if it's mahogany or basswood)

2 color cans
    2 topcoat clear.

Build up the coats thinly. Be patient. Wet sand between layers... you can make a quality finish with spray bombs if you don't rush it.

Good luck.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2021